Extra Characters - Can I batch edit?

Carrie Brady

Oct 15, 2020, 12:49:45 PM10/15/20
to SKYIndexUsers
Hi, I'm having a problem with a file imported from a Macrex backup. *shakes fist at Macrex* The Macrex backup file was auto-generated from a database by an in-house program at my agency, so that's part of the problem. It generates with each main heading bracketed by slashes, which I guess makes them appear in bold when the index is exported -- that means that in Macrex they all look like this:

\Subject Heading\

The problem is that once imported into SKYIndex, they all look like this:

/b1Subject Heading/b0

Is there a way that I can just globally change all of them to just appear as:

Subject Heading

My first thought was Find/Replace, but to do that for all the main headings at once, there was no way to replace /b1 with nothing. I know I can edit each main heading once and propagate the changes, but I'm hoping to find an alternative, because we have a LOT of different subjects as our main headings. If there is no alternative, I'll just accept it and go heading by heading, but I figured it couldn't hurt to consult the collective wisdom of the user group.

Thanks in advance!

Carrie Brady, Maryland Department of Legislative Services Library

mjhw...@gmail.com

Oct 15, 2020, 4:45:55 PM10/15/20
to SKYIndexUsers
Carrie
You absolutely can replace something with nothing. In the "Replace" dialog simply leave the "Replace" box blank.
You can even find all text enclosed with /b1 ... /b0 and replace it with bold text by using wildcards as explained in the manual. Or if all main headings are to appear in bold use the Heading Style dialog of Index Options.
(By the way, when having to make lots of changes to headings and then propagate them the easiest way is often to make them in the Index Pane or Edit View.)
Michael

Siusan Moffat

Oct 19, 2020, 10:44:16 AM10/19/20
to SKYIndexUsers
HI

Finally getting around to inquiring about this one.

Does everyone's "Demote" work in Sky 7? Mine doesn't. It deletes the
last letter.

So I want "ear bones" to be ear [main] bones [sub] and it becomes ear
bone [main]

Even if I'm not using the correct function to get what I want it seems
like a glitch...

Siusan

--
Siusan Moffat,
Indexing Society of Canada member

I acknowledge that I live and work in the traditional
territory of the Anishinaabe, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat,
and the Mississaugas of the Credit River, now home to many
Indigenous Peoples and newcomers from around the globe. I
recognize that decolonization must be an active and ongoing
process of reconciliation.

Siusan Moffat

Oct 19, 2020, 11:46:38 AM10/19/20
to SKYIndexUsers

Ahh, this makes sense. Seems like it can't do what I want it. Weird that it actually does SOMETHING (and the wrong thing!)

Thanks!

Siusan

On 2020-10-19 11:35 a.m., Shana Milkie wrote:
Hi Siusan,

I use Sky 7 and "Demote" is working. I think you have to have a comma between the parts that you want to demote. In your example, the original main heading would be "ear, bones." Then when you choose demote for that cell, "bones" will move down one level and leave "ear" in the original level. The comma will disappear.

Good luck! I know things like this can be maddening.

- Shana Milkie

Siusan Moffat

Oct 19, 2020, 12:10:16 PM10/19/20
to SKYIndexUsers

Oh for heaven's sake - I don't know if it makes a different but I meant Sky 8 not 7! :P

Siusan

Judi

Oct 19, 2020, 12:14:20 PM10/19/20
to Siusan Moffat, SKYIndexUsers

I think Demote works the same in both SI7 and SI8. I’ve used SI8 for a couple of indexes, and do not recall it being a problem.

~Judi