number sort as text?

Lora Marchand

Dec 26, 2021, 7:42:01 PM12/26/21
to skyind...@googlegroups.com

This is probably simple but I'm not getting it to work. I would like to sort this entry as if spelled out rather than as a number. From the SKY User's Guide, I've tried both versions but this still sorts at the top of my index, before the word headings beginning with the letter "A".

{thousand}1000 Stone Farm, 28–29

{thousand}[1000 Stone Farm], 28–29

I also tried {one thousand} but thought maybe that was too complicated a command. (And, which do you think is a more proper form for "1000"?)

How does this work? I'm a relatively new SKY user and appreciate the assistance. Thank you!

Lora

Lora Marchand
Maplewood Indexing

loramarchand60

Dec 26, 2021, 10:25:20 PM12/26/21
to SKYIndexUsers
Thank you for the "1000" fix, I needed to drop the brackets and just use ignore text over "thousand", and it worked. Maybe my User's Manual is out of date, who knows. But it worked.

Last format trick; SKY is reading this entry as some type of code, but it is the name of the essay series, "Land is..."  But SKY outputs that with only one period, "Land is.(profiles of Black Vermonters)

Land is...(profiles of Black Vermonters)

When I copy the entry to this email, it looked like this. Does that help?

/i1Land is.../i0(profiles of Black Vermonters)

Thank you. No huge rush here, we're in review period, with time for fixing!

Lora

nicol...@hotmail.com

Dec 27, 2021, 3:20:38 AM12/27/21
to SKYIndexUsers

If in Sky 7 you need to use the elipsis character from the  'Tools menu' and 'Character Map' option.  Make sure the font is the same as the one you are using in the index. Sorry, I  don't know if V8 is the same.

Best wishes

Nicola

loramarchand60

Dec 27, 2021, 9:38:29 AM12/27/21
to SKYIndexUsers
Thanks for all the great help! Problems solved and I learned a few things.

Note, the ellipsis character indeed worked in SKY 8. Very handy approach.

Lora