Alphabetizing by subheading

Rudy Leon

Feb 13, 2022, 6:11:59 PM2/13/22
to SKYIndexUsers
Hi all. I'm certain I asked this before, but I once again find myself really wanting to sort sub alphabetically. I'm hoping someone might have found a way to force this? I'm baffled it's not an option in the tool.

Judi Gibbs

Feb 13, 2022, 6:29:03 PM2/13/22
to Rudy Leon, SKYIndexUsers
Rudy,

There is a way. Use hidden text. I usually use a, b, c... in hidden text, and it sorts exactly the way that I want it to sort.

~Judi

Rudy Leon

Feb 13, 2022, 6:38:05 PM2/13/22
to Judi Gibbs, SKYIndexUsers
No, I'm looking to sort the entire index alphabetically by sub1, not by the main entry. I want to edit the subheads for consistency

Please forgive all typos from my not-always-smart phone

Thank you,

Rudy Leon
Editor & Indexer
http:/EvokeWordsForHire.com
Instructor, Library Juice Academy
Member: ACES, ASI, EFA, NWEG

On Feb 13, 2022, at 3:29 PM, Judi Gibbs <ju...@writeguru.com> wrote:

Rudy,

Matthew MacLellan

Feb 13, 2022, 6:40:33 PM2/13/22
to Write Guru, Rudy Leon, Matthew MacLellan' via SKYIndexUsers
I think Jochen provided a method somewhere in the archives. I haven't used Sky in a while but I think you can save a copy/backup, then use the flip command on the entire index flipping Main and Sub 1. It will mess up some of the words that are ignored (and, on, etc) so you'll probably want to go back to the previous version of the index.

Matthew MacLellan

Feb 13, 2022, 6:41:12 PM2/13/22
to Write Guru, Rudy Leon, Matthew MacLellan' via SKYIndexUsers
I hit enter too soon--I haven't used Sky in a few months so just take caution with what I said, but this is the outline of how I did it.

Jochen Fassbender

Feb 13, 2022, 6:44:28 PM2/13/22
to skyind...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

Yep, it's possible. I've saved the the discussion from a while ago:

---

With due respect but all other suggestions so far fail to answer the original poster's question.

Sorting on subheadings helps to check the wording of subheadings for consistency. So being able to sort them has a good reason, as you can view all subheadings at once.

I wonder if my message on this four days ago possibly didn't reach everyone?

The best solution is still to swap all main and subheadings including empty ones (F4), select sorted view, do your checking and editing of the sorted subheadings, then swap them all back where they belong. So apart from duplicating and swapping individual records (when a sub should become a main heading as well), F4 is also very useful to actually make sorting by subheadings possible.

Jochen

Am 28.07.2021 um 19:01 schrieb Theresa Duran:

> Although I too fail to see how sorting by subheadings would be more helpful than the existing editing tools, I did have a thought on an alternative solution.
>

> If you go into your AutoComplete Manager (under Options), you’ll see an alphabetical list of all your headings, MHs and SHs, mixed together. That’s not exactly what you’re looking for, but it’s close, as it should be fairly easy to distinguish the subheadings by their phrasing. I would update your list (Alt+Ctrl+U) before opening the AC Manager. Once it’s open, you can print out a list of all the entries, or you can edit them directly in that window, though doing so will not affect the existing index entries. You’d still need to edit them once you close the AC Manager.
>

> Theresa

I don't think you can do it directly, at least not in SKY 7 which I am using.

But you can highlight all records and swap all subheadings to main headings (F4), then select sorted view (Shift+F8) to get all subs in alphabetically order.

But I would only do it with a copy of the original file. Just in case something goes wrong.

Would be interested if there is another option.

Jochen

Am 24.07.2021 um 13:35 schrieb SharonB:
> I'm trying to sort my index by subheadings, checking for consistency.  I'm  sure I've done it before - but now just can't work out how.
> Can anyone help
> Sharon

---

Jochen

Rudy Leon

Rudy Leon

Jochen Fassbender

Feb 13, 2022, 7:35:03 PM2/13/22
to skyind...@googlegroups.com
No need to use Excel. Just temporarily deactivate SmartSwap under Data Entry Options and the swaps of main and sub are perfect!

Jochen