Balking at unusual page range

Judi Gibbs

Jan 22, 2022, 3:50:54 PM1/22/22
to SKYIndexUsers

I’m indexing a CUP book that requires writing numbers in the margins next to the text.

   B162.6 – 162.11f

I keep getting a message that the 2nd number is less than or equal to the 1st number, and I must fix this to continue. SKY will not let me move ahead without “fixing” this.

What do I do?

~Judi

Jochen Fassbender

Jan 22, 2022, 4:24:51 PM1/22/22
to skyind...@googlegroups.com
Hi Judi,

Interesting locator format. I assume that the "numbers in the margins" are 6 and 11f in your example (whatever f means)? I also notice a blank in front and after the en dash?

Anyway, a workaround seems to be using an en dash instead of a hyphen when entering the range in the Page field. This way SKY doesn't balk. I entered some other locators along with yours and they perfectly sort as well:

example entry  B160.5–160.10, B162.2b–162.3, B162.3, B162.6–B162.11f, B162.12–162.14a

I also notice that entering
B162.6 - B162.11f, that is, a hyphen plus a blank in front and after the hyphen does work as well.

Another option might be using volume labels. But it means that 6 and 11 in
B162.6–B162.11f become the page numbers. Not sure if you like that, though it should work as well.

These are my 3 cents for the time being,
Jochen

Judi Gibbs

Jan 22, 2022, 4:39:19 PM1/22/22
to Jochen Fassbender, skyind...@googlegroups.com

How do I get the en dash? I hate to admit that I don’t know—but I don’t.

After your message, I tried an asterisk, and SKY accepts that. I can do a search and replace in Word at the end.

~Judi

Jochen Fassbender

Jan 22, 2022, 4:55:58 PM1/22/22
to Judi Gibbs, skyind...@googlegroups.com
It's in the character map, between the central dot and the em dash. There was a longer discussion about the en dash the other day if I recall correctly. Anyway, I saved the en dash as an acronym, so as to have it ready whenever I need it. You can also use the shortcut Alt+0150 using the numeric keyboard. Or using your way by replacing it.

Incidentally, I forgot a number of "B"s
in several ranges of my locator example. It should read:

B160.5–B160.10, B162.2b–B162.3, B162.3, B162.6–B162.11f, B162.12–B162.14a

But even when forgetting some of the "B"s Sky does sort the ranges correctly.

Jochen