mark of omission in indexing entry

Matthew MacLellan

Oct 26, 2021, 1:20:01 PM10/26/21
to Matthew MacLellan' via SKYIndexUsers
Hello all,

I'm trying to get a mark of omission to show in my index entry. It's the name of an extremely long film, that I'm trying to shorten.

I want: Name of Movie... (no curly brackets!)

I've consulted the User's Guide and in Options>Preferences have adjust punctuation checked, so I've tried enclosing the .... in "'s and in ', but neither of those has resulted in me seeing the trailing dots for the mark of omission.

What am I doing wrong? Suggestions?

Matthew

Judy McConville

Oct 26, 2021, 1:41:51 PM10/26/21
to Matthew MacLellan, Matthew MacLellan' via SKYIndexUsers

In SKY 7, open the character map.  Find the ellipse. Its about half way down and slightly to the right in the Courier New grid.  Copy the ellipse and paste it into the cell you want.

What’s happening when you type the three dots by hand is that SKY sees them as periods, which it is trained to delete.

Good luck!

Judy

Judith McConville

Allegheny Writing & Publishing Services, LLC

Creating professional indexes for your publications

ind...@awps.biz

www.awps.biz

724-813-0693

Line by Line Indexing

Oct 26, 2021, 1:46:46 PM10/26/21
to Matthew MacLellan' via SKYIndexUsers
Thanks Judy!  I've had this issue before and I had to make the change in the MS Word document. Now I know there's a real solution so I don't have to do it "by hand" in the future.

Michelle Guiliano, DPM

Matthew MacLellan

Oct 26, 2021, 1:51:31 PM10/26/21
to Michelle Guiliano, DPM, Matthew MacLellan' via SKYIndexUsers
Thanks to those who suggested the character map. It worked perfectly.

Jochen Fassbender

Oct 27, 2021, 11:10:05 AM10/27/21
to skyind...@googlegroups.com
If you use a special character like the ellipsis (or some diacritics for that matter) more often, it may be more efficient to add them to one's acronyms instead of looking them up in the character map time and again.

Jochen

On October 26, 2021, "Michelle Guiliano, DPM" <mich...@linebylineindexing.com> wrote:
Thanks Judy!  I've had this issue before and I had to make the change in the MS Word document. Now I know there's a real solution so I don't have to do it "by hand" in the future.

Michelle Guiliano, DPM
PO Box 572 | Etna, NH 03750(603) 277-0352
mich...@linebylineindexing.com
www.linebylineindexing.com

Ruth Ellis

Oct 27, 2021, 12:54:27 PM10/27/21
to SKYIndexUsers
It's also worth checking if there is a Alt shortcode for it, which I've just done. Alt0133 will give you the ellipsis.

® is Alt0174
α is Alt224
ß is Alt225
æ is Alt0230
Alt0224 - Alt0228 gives you the various accented à á â ã ä
There is a similar sequence for the other letters, including upper case ones.

Over time I've learned most of the Alt codes for the characters I use most and so I just type them in now and it keeps my flow on the keyboard going.

If one exists you'll see the keystrokes for it at the lower right of the character map.

 I found a cheat sheet somewhere on the web once and printed it out so I can always refer to that for any I can't remember. I'll see if I can dig out the link for that

Jochen Fassbender

Oct 27, 2021, 1:48:52 PM10/27/21
to skyind...@googlegroups.com
Sure, shortcuts are another way to go, especially if you have memorized them. But if you define a few acronyms in a short and smart way, you'll probably need fewer keystrokes than the shortcuts.

Also, it depends which language you've selected and/or which kind of keyboard you are using, e.g. the shortcut for the Greek letter alpha given in the examples doesn't work with a German keyboard (it's Alt0945 instead). Greek letters also can't be directly displayed in SKY 7 but have to be translated. On the other hand, German keyboards do have umlaut and accent keys.

Jochen

Ruth Ellis

Oct 27, 2021, 2:53:59 PM10/27/21
to SKYIndexUsers
Greek letters can be displayed in SKY with no problem - you just have to ensure that the fonts in preferences are set to one that includes them (for example Arial). Then you may also need to check that the heading style uses the same font.

I didn't know that the shortcut codes vary with the keyboard, so that's interesting to learn. UK keyboards have no accents at all.

I use the number pad for entering page numbers and am so used to it that my fingers find the codes automatically. I do use acronyms but not to that extent.

Jochen Fassbender

Oct 27, 2021, 3:39:06 PM10/27/21
to skyind...@googlegroups.com
Thanks, Ruth, I stand corrected. Yes, Arial should be selected in preferences. However, I have to select the Symbol font in the character map to get the Greek letters. And they won't show up with shortcuts.

As for acronyms, I just use them for a few most-used special characters. I don't mean to overload acronyms with special characters.

And yes, keyboards vary. On a Spanish keyboard, for example, the 27th letter of the Spanish alphabet, the ñ (n with a tilde in case it won't come through in this email) naturally has its own key and so do the reversed exclamation and question marks. There are even nuances among Latin American keyboards.

Jochen

mjhw...@gmail.com

Oct 27, 2021, 9:00:37 PM10/27/21
to SKYIndexUsers
I find Arial a bit hard on the eye. Try Georgia and Tahoma as well.  Or google "what fonts support Unicode" and select one that you find easiest to work with.
Michael

On Thursday, October 28, 2021 at 6:39:06 AM UTC+11 Jochen Fassbender wrote:
Thanks, Ruth, I stand corrected. Yes, Arial should be selected in preferences. ...

Jochen

Jochen Fassbender

Oct 28, 2021, 5:48:17 PM10/28/21
to skyind...@googlegroups.com
Hi Michael, just not to make it more confusing: I'm using SKY 7. So no Unicode characters displayed.

When I absent-mindedly said Greek letters can't be displayed, I somehow mixed up Greek with Russian letters in my mind; it's the latter which actually can't be displayed in SKY 7. And by the way, it doesn't matter which font is chosen in preferences in version 7, I have to select the Symbol font in the character map to get Greek letters. Anyway, I rarely have to use Greek letters.

Jochen