punctuation formatting

Siusan Moffat

Feb 19, 2023, 5:00:35 PM2/19/23
to SKYIndexUsers

Hi!

Can anyone show me where to do this:

§  Any punctuation that follows an italicized word should also be italicized:

Aeneid, 250

Thanks!

Siusan

-

Siusan Moffat,
Indexing Society of Canada member
http://about.me/siusanmoffat
absoluteindexing.com

I acknowledge that I live and work in the
territory of the Anishinaabe, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat,
and the Mississaugas of the Credit River, now home to many
Indigenous Peoples and newcomers from around the globe. I
recognize that decolonization must be an active and ongoing
process of reconciliation.

Deborah Patton

Feb 19, 2023, 5:58:15 PM2/19/23
to Siusan Moffat, SKYIndexUsers
I looked at all the possible places I could think of and don't see it. Under Options>Index>Locators there's a checkbox for 'Separators take on leading locator style' -- you might try checking that one and seeing what happens. Separators are what we call punctuation but this is more about locators than an italicized word.
Maybe it's something that gets defined in Options>Index>Index Style's customized style settings at the bottom...? But to use that I think one needs a PhD in how SKY works! I have never been able to grasp what that's about.
I'd ask Kamm if it can be done...
Otherwise you can Find italics at the end of a field using pattern matching and mark those records (by labeling) and tweak them in the rtf file.
Deborah

Feb 19, 2023, 7:57:14 PM2/19/23
to SKYIndexUsers
Is this a standard that you're quoting from? If it is a widely used standard (as opposed to a house style), you could request it in a future SKY upgrade.
Michael

Theresa Duran

Feb 19, 2023, 8:59:31 PM2/19/23
to SKYIndexUsers

I accidentally replied to Siusan offlist.  As far as I know, this has to be fixed in Word, not SKY, but the fix is a simple Find & Replace. Here are the instructions:

+++++++++

Bring up the Find box. Click in it, then do control I so that the words Format: Italic show up below it. Don't put anything in the box itself.

In the Replace box, put ^&<\ITAL> (you can use any code you want in the angle brackets; this is my standard code for "end italics," so it's what I automatically type). This tells word to put the code <\ITAL> after any italic text.

Now go back to the Find box and click in it, then hit control I two more times until the Format: setting below the box disappears. In the Find box, now put <\ITAL>, (that's the <\ITAL> code followed by a comma), and in the Replace box put ^& and do control I until Format: Italic shows up below it (which should be only once). This tells Word to find <\ITAL> followed by a comma and change them both to italic.

Now go back to the Find box and enter <\ITAL> and then go to the Replace box. Make sure that it's empty. Take out the Format: setting below it by hitting control I twice, and hit Replace All to replace <\ITAL> with nothing. All the <\ITAL> codes will disappear, but the italic commas will still be there.

+++++++++

This approach can easily be tweaked if you need to change the punctuation after bold locators to bold. I asked Kamm about this a long time ago, as I’ve had several clients who wanted this style. He said he’d consider adding it as a SKY option, but maybe he forgot about it.

Theresa

Siusan Moffat

Feb 20, 2023, 7:59:50 AM2/20/23
to Theresa Duran, SKYIndexUsers

Yes! It's a "fix it yourself". Kamm sent me instructions but it's turns out it wasn't quite what I needed.

Thank you so much for this information!