sections not deploying correctly

Rudy Leon

Mar 25, 2024, 3:49:12 PMMar 25
to SKYIndexUsers
Hi all,
I'm working on this CUP-by-codes index and I;m trying to use the sections options to make my life easier. Right now, I have locators like 1.3, 1.12, 1.17, etc. (and this is how I want the locators to look in the final index, going up one for each chapter)

When I enable sections and change the input and output to a period (.) and leave everything as is, I get 11.3, 11.12, 11.17. The locators I entered as .25, .26, .27 came out as 25, 26, 27. So I can either get the doubling of the section label I am trying to not have to put in by hand (unhelpful to the extreme), or the dot gets stripped out.

I would really love to just enter numbers and not have to include the dot, but that seems impossible. At best, I should be able to get an appropriate looking locator if I include the input mark (and I want the dot, as it's on the keypad).

Can anyone help me figure out how I should set up the columns/section/chapter option to get the appropriate result?

Thank you,
Rudy Leon
Editor, Book Coach, Indexer, and Faculty Development Professional

Deborah Patton

Mar 25, 2024, 4:09:28 PMMar 25
to Rudy Leon, SKYIndexUsers
This is hard stuff! I'd suggest you ask Kamm: sup...@sky-software.com
Here's John Bealle's locator guide too: http://www.bealleindexing.ej345.com/SkyLocators.html
I agree about not putting it all in by hand. I get lost in it and usually ask Kamm for help.
Deborah

Rudy Leon

Mar 25, 2024, 4:24:53 PMMar 25
to Deborah Patton, SKYIndexUsers
Deborah, thank you for Jon Beale's guide. That explains how Sections/chapters should work -- which is not at all how I thought this option would work!

I think my question is this -- is there a way (and I know there's a way, I think someone shared an OUP template a while back that did this) to have the number to the left of the dot enter automagically, and I only need to worry about the varying locators in each chapter (the number to the right of the dot)?

Thank you,
Rudy Leon
Editor, Book Coach, Indexer, and Faculty Development Professional

Deborah Patton

Mar 25, 2024, 4:29:17 PMMar 25
to Rudy Leon, SKYIndexUsers
Yes, Rudy!
Tools>Add/Remove Volume/Chapter labels
I always add those chapter or section prefixes after I've done each section or chapter.
Sorry -- I wasn't understanding your question -- but these things are complex...
Deborah

Rudy Leon

Mar 25, 2024, 4:35:23 PMMar 25
to Deborah Patton, SKYIndexUsers
Genius! Thank you!

It's hard to ask a question well when you don't understand the degree to which you don't understand!

This looks like it should work. One quick question though -- does each chapter need to be its own file? I think I can load each file into one .sk8 file at the end, so it alphabetizes as one, but I'd like to be able to keep the language and autocorrect from chapter to chapter?

I have a vague memory of doing this at some point, with groupings? I had no idea this project was going to call on so much advanced SKY usage (and my SKY usage is largely basic and in need of an advanced class, which I would happily take if it was on offer....)

Thank you,
Rudy Leon
Editor, Book Coach, Indexer, and Faculty Development Professional

Deborah Patton

Mar 25, 2024, 4:52:51 PMMar 25
to Rudy Leon, SKYIndexUsers
No each chapter does NOT need to be it's own file. I index the first chapter, then add the chapter/volume #.
I guess you could use labels, but what I do is to put the index in page order, click on the first entry, scroll to the last and -- while pressing the shift key -- click on the last entry for that chapter which Selects All (that are highlighted). Then I group those and add the 2nd chapter # and so on.
The chapter you're working in won't have the chapter number until you add it at the end of that chapter.
Deborah