cloud back up issues

Jo Penning

Feb 4, 2022, 3:17:58 PM2/4/22
to skyind...@googlegroups.com

Hi

I’ve been following the conversation following Avril’s query on ‘backup to the Cloud’.

I also have had problems with backup; I routinely use a separate memory stick to backup. I do have OneDrive on both my laptops but haven’t sorted using it successfully previously; so I followed Cheryl’s and Michael’s advice here today. However, when I now go to SKY8 and attempt to open the index file that has saved to the backup in OneDrive I get a dialog with ’The file does exist but could not  be opened’ and a comment about the file ‘being in use by a cloud sync service or …is corrupt’ (which it isn’t). I tried again later but no luck! Oh dear. If anyone has any idea I too would be glad for anything constructive. Meantime I’ll keep saving to my external drive/stick.

Jo

Joanna Penning

Society of Indexers, Advanced professional member

Angela Hall

Feb 4, 2022, 3:26:51 PM2/4/22
to Jo Penning, skyind...@googlegroups.com
I’ve been following this as I’ve just had a new computer and recently got 365 and I icloud backup and it’s perfect. Everything is backed up to the cloud. I really recommend it.

Angela Hall Advanced Professional Indexer

mjhw...@gmail.com

Feb 4, 2022, 7:34:04 PM2/4/22
to SKYIndexUsers
H'mm. You're not supposed to "open" a backup file, you're supposed to "restore" it (File > File Management > Restore). Try that and see if it works. (Although I believe backup files are in fact normal index files.)

There are indexers who work directly on SKY Index files stored on Dropbox, though there are many more who have tried without success. I suspect you need a totally reliable high-speed internet connection that never hiccups.

Michael

Jo Penning

Feb 5, 2022, 12:32:58 PM2/5/22
to skyind...@googlegroups.com

Hi again,

Yes thanks; ‘hmmm’ indeed – spot of brain fog on my part. But having been spurred on by you people on this forum I have sorted out things on my ‘understudy’ laptop so that, if for some reason, my main laptop is kaput I can be sure that I can find/access the current index (i.e. not totally reliant on saving to my external drive/stick). And yes I used ‘restore’ in File>File Management to open it (thanks for the reminder!); and Options>Preferences>File Location to save the backup to OneDrive.

Thank you. Have nice weekend.

Jo

Joanna Penning