Forcing xrefs — SOLVED

AElfwine Mischler

Nov 2, 2021, 12:06:59 PM11/2/21
to SKYIndexUsers
I asked earlier in the day about forcing a See xref to be a See also xref when I’m using nested entries. I did ask Kamm about this, and this is the essential part of his reply:

Overriding the Assigned Cross-reference Type

If your index requires the overriding of the assigned type, you can start your cross-reference with xref.see or xref.also. SKY Index will then use your assigned type instead of the by-the-book appropriate assignment.

I had searched for the word force. I just now searched for overrid in the User’s Guide, but overriding the xrefs did not come up. Other things that can be overridden did.

This is one to file away for further use.

Thanks again.

Ælfwine Mischler
Personal email: aelfwine...@gmail.com
Business email: aelf...@MischlerEditorial.com
Member, Editorial Freelancers Assoc. (EFA)
Member, American Society for Indexing (ASI)

Nigel D'Auvergne

Nov 2, 2021, 1:23:44 PM11/2/21
to AElfwine Mischler, SKYIndexUsers

Ælfwine

You’re right in that ‘assigned cross-reference type’ does not appear as a sub of the main entry ‘overriding’ in the index to the Users’ Guide, but searching for ‘overrid’ (either Ctrl+F or Ctrl+Shift+F) results in 12 instances, including ‘Overriding the Assigned Cross-reference Type’.

Who needs indexes (!). Did I say that?

Nigel

AElfwine Mischler

Nigel D'Auvergne

Nov 2, 2021, 1:31:13 PM11/2/21
to AElfwine Mischler, SKYIndexUsers

If your search did not result in 12 instances including the one in question, a possible explanation is that your Users’ Guide is not the current one.

NIgel

AElfwine Mischler

Nigel D'Auvergne

Nov 2, 2021, 3:15:43 PM11/2/21
to AElfwine Mischler, SKYIndexUsers

As far as I know, every Sky update includes the latest Guide. Mine is v8, ‘last updated 27-Feb-2020’.

Nigel

AElfwine Mischler