Formatting locators in DEXEmbed

Victoria George

Feb 27, 2023, 12:20:27 PM2/27/23
to skyind...@googlegroups.com
Greetings all!

I am using DEXEmbed to create an embedded index for CUP who have requested elided locators in the format: 11-2, 250-3, 340-5, etc.
I have not been able to figure out how to accomplish this and I am wondering if any DEXEmbed users have any ideas?
I have formatted the locators in Sky but this is not being carried over to the exported Tab-delimited file, which is then embedded in the manuscript document.
Any ideas would be appreciated.

All best,

Victoria George, PhD
Compendium Indexing, LLC

Barry Campbell

Feb 27, 2023, 12:33:11 PM2/27/23
to Victoria George, skyind...@googlegroups.com
By creating a Word embedded index, however you do it, the elision is defined by the rules supported by the Word indexing module. You and CUP have to accept that.
Feb 27, 2023, 12:40:43 PM2/27/23
to Victoria George, skyind...@googlegroups.com
Typesetters take care of conversion to InDesign. Elision rules may then be different.

Feb 27, 2023, 2:06:52 PM2/27/23
to Victoria George, skyind...@googlegroups.com
Looking at my notes... Word appears to follow Chicago rules.
Sent: 27 February 2023 17:40

Rudy Leon

Feb 27, 2023, 4:38:24 PM2/27/23
to Victoria George, skyind...@googlegroups.com
The formatting in the tab exported file doesn't matter in terms of what the output will look like. That's controlled by Word. The tab delimited file is simply used to  encode the locators at the correct spot for Word to read them to generate its index from them.

Thank you,
Rudy Leon
Editorial Services
http://rudyleon.com

Member NWEG, ACES, ATT, and ASI
VP Member Services, Northwest Editors Guild

Victoria George

Feb 27, 2023, 7:46:28 PM2/27/23
to Rudy Leon, skyind...@googlegroups.com
Hi Rudy,
Thank you. That makes sense. Do you have any experience with formatting locators in Word? I looked at that too and didn't see a way to modify locator format there.
Victoria

Barry Campbell

Feb 28, 2023, 4:29:30 AM2/28/23
to Victoria George, Rudy Leon, skyind...@googlegroups.com

Victoria, Rudy, and anyone else interested,

This is an extract from the IndexExploit user guide, Page 14. I hope it helps.

Page Number Format

Page numbers in the document are defined by the Page Number Format form. Number format allows selection of Roman, Arabic and alphabetical numbering.

Include chapter number allows a heading level to be chosen to define chapters. Heading level 1 is recommended for a coherent contents list.

Use separator defines a separator between chapter and page number. The default is a hyphen which is the same as the page range separator. Options are hyphen, period, colon, em dash, en dash. A colon is a good choice as it will not be confused with a range separator in the index.

Page numbering defines whether numbering starts at the section or continues from the previous section. Elision in a generated index follows Chicago rules.

Barry Campbell

Maria Sosnowski

Feb 28, 2023, 9:49:44 AM2/28/23
to skyind...@googlegroups.com

The information you provided is helpful Barry.  It’s good to know that the limits on elision come from Word.  That says to me that if the client wants a different format, it would be up to them to change that themselves.

Maria

Mar 29, 2023, 11:36:20 AM3/29/23
to Maria Sosnowski, skyind...@googlegroups.com
Thank you Barry for the information. It is very helpful indeed. I agree with Maria: perhaps the client should render the requested format themselves as it is not offered on Word.

I just saw that I never sent this email response! My apologies for that. I appreciated very much the information Barry sent.
Victoria

Barry Campbell

Mar 29, 2023, 5:57:29 PM3/29/23
to Victoria George, Maria Sosnowski, skyind...@googlegroups.com
Victoria, Maria, Rudy,
And anyone else interested...
When creating an embedded indexer as part of a publishing workflow, the publisher imports the document with the embedded entries into the publishing software. If they are practised in the art then the embedded entries are used to create an index in the target software. Indexing rules will be different to Word. There are other complications, also discussed in the IndexExploit user guide.

Here is a link to the page in the IndexExploit user guide.
I'm sending this for several reasons.
a. To support the initial query
b. To demonstrate a hyperlink to a page sub-address
c. To allow readers to see for themselves whether it works.

Depending on your hardware or browser you will see one of the following...
d. Page 14 in the user guide
e. Page 1. Your software doesn't support sub-addresses
f. The file downloads
g. something else.

For information I sent this using
Hardware HP Envy with an 11th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 processor
OS Windows 11 Home edition
Software Office 365 Outlook

The hyperlink works.

IndexExploit supports hyperlinked indexes as well as embedded indexes and I promised the ASI Digital Publications Group a write-up, so if any of you have a moment to test the link, please let me know off list
h. Hardware
i. Operating system
j. browser
k. result

This will help build a picture and help make important decisions relating to the future of linked indexes. Depending on the response, I may post to other groups.

Barry Campbell

Sent: 29 March 2023 16:36
To: Maria Sosnowski <ma...@index-plus.com>
Cc: skyind...@googlegroups.com <skyind...@googlegroups.com>