Should I buy version 7 or 8

katie.w...@gmail.com

May 24, 2024, 3:39:33 AMMay 24
to SKYIndexUsers
hi

I need to buy Sky which I used as a student. I switched over to Cindex for a while but would like to go back to Sky and buy the full version.  So which is safer to get?!

thanks

Katie

Deborah Patton

May 24, 2024, 6:23:58 AMMay 24
to katie.w...@gmail.com, SKYIndexUsers
I don't know that you have a choice.
Personally I use v8 all the time and it's been robust and reliable. Further it has features I use regularly that I'm not willing to give up -- like inverting names (which I use for more than just names), pasting Unicode characters into the index from a pdf without having to create a translation (cumbersome!), and making web-ready indexes.
Deborah

ju...@writeguru.com

May 24, 2024, 6:46:57 AMMay 24
to Deborah Patton, katie.w...@gmail.com, SKYIndexUsers

The people who like SKY 8 love it. A few of us have had problems with it freezing up, and we have to ask Kamm to unfreeze it.

Kamm’s website may say that only SKY 8 is available, although at least one person on this list got him to sell her SKY 7 when she had repeated problems with SKY 8 freezing up.

Of the big 3 on the market, I believe SKY is the only one that still has developer support.

~Judi

Shmuel Gerber

May 24, 2024, 11:42:14 AMMay 24
to SKYIndexUsers
Regarding support from the developer, CINDEX has recently become a free, open-source project, and the original developer is again making updates and fixes to it.
Of course that is not the same as providing individual tech support.

Also, last month I reported a bug in SKY Index 8, and Kamm wrote to me the following (which I am sharing because I have no reason to suspect it is a secret):
"SKY Index 8 is roughly 8 years old at this point and as such is unlikely to receive any further updates. However, I will make sure the fixes get into the next version release of SKY Index."

So you may want to take that into consideration regarding your purchase, . I would expect there will be some kind of grace period during which recent purchasers will get a free or very cheap upgrade when the next edition comes out, but I have no idea when that will be or if indeed such a policy exists.
--Shmuel Gerber

Maria Sosnowski

May 24, 2024, 12:23:45 PMMay 24
to SKYIndexUsers

And regarding Cindex, Maria Sullivan is going to be offering support services and there is a link on the page Shmuel references about that.

For Sky, pricing for people upgrading from a previous version has always been less expensive than buying a  new version.  So if you buy Sky 8, I would expect that you would pay less to upgrade to the new version than you would to buy it in the first place.

As far as Sky v. Cindex, I would pick the one that makes the most sense to your brain and how you work.  Unless you plan to do a lot of legal indexing, in which case I would encourage you to get Cindex.  That’s much more common among legal indexers and would make future collaborative projects easier.

Maria

Jochen Fassbender

May 24, 2024, 12:29:14 PMMay 24
to Maria Sosnowski, SKYIndexUsers
Hi Maria,

Could you please give a hint or two why Cindex is more common among
legal indexers?

Thank you.

Jochen

Siusan Moffat

May 24, 2024, 12:29:21 PMMay 24
to Maria Sosnowski, SKYIndexUsers

Maria I'm curious why legal indexers use Cindex more than others - do you know? (Not that it means much to me personally. I don't do legal indexing and have no inclination to! I'm just curious :) )

Siusan

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/skyindexusers/00d301daadf6%24bed48610%243c7d9230%24%40index-plus.com.
--
Siusan Moffat,
Indexing Society of Canada member

she/her pronouns

I acknowledge that I live and work in the territory of
the Anishinaabe, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat,
and the Mississaugas of the Credit River, now home to many
Indigenous Peoples and newcomers from around the globe. I
recognize that decolonization must be an active and ongoing
process of reconciliation. Reconciliation is action beyond recognition.

Maria Sosnowski

May 24, 2024, 12:37:36 PMMay 24
to SKYIndexUsers

Legal publishers tend to use Cindex.  So for example I have done work for several legal publishers that involve moving files back and forth.  They want you to use Cindex.  I actually bought Cindex and used it for one client to do a weekly legal newsletter for them for a couple of years.  And another client had to take special steps to get files ready for me to import into Sky and then do extra work after to convert back.

Cindex handles large files better than Sky, I’m also told.  And some legal projects involve sets of books with 50+ volumes, so that becomes important.

There are probably other reasons, but I know that Cindex is much more the norm in the legal world.

Maria

Erika Millen

May 24, 2024, 3:14:24 PMMay 24
to SKYIndexUsers

You can buy either version. If you click the orange “Order Now” button, you can select whether you want 7 or 8. (I keep both on my machine, although 7 is the version I use most often.)

Erika

erika...@outlook.com

insightfulindexing.com