crashing w-z

David Luljak

Nov 19, 2021, 7:02:26 PM11/19/21
to skyind...@googlegroups.com

My Sky program (version 7.0) has started to crash when I make index entries in the W-Z range of the alphabet.

It has now happened with two indexes in a row. I can’t try to “redo” or “delete” the entry because as soon as I click anywhere in the row (main entry, page number) the program closes.

I developed a workaround with the first index but I noticed that the next day, when I had turned off my computer and turned it back on, the problem was no longer happening.

Today it just happened again on a second index. I will try the power off-power on strategy again, but, obviously, I don’t want to rely on this as the “solution” to the problem.

I’ve been using 7.0 for years and have never encountered this before. Has anyone else had a problem like this?

Thanks!

Dave Luljak

Sent from Mail for Windows

Jochen Fassbender

Nov 19, 2021, 7:28:58 PM11/19/21
to skyind...@googlegroups.com
Hi David,

I'm a SKY 7 user, too, but have never experienced your problem.

You may want to try some or all of the following:

- Index > Resort

- File > Compact

- You may want to create a new index and merge the corrupt one with this new one.

- Maybe it's a case for the Repair option.

- It would also be interesting to see if the same problem happens when you create or redo or delete entries in the W-Z range in older .sk7 files (preferably copies of the originals) from the time before this problem came up.

- Last option: contact Kamm. Or maybe another indexer has some other suggestions.

Good luck.

Jochen

Doreen McLaughlin

Nov 19, 2021, 7:59:43 PM11/19/21
to third...@outlook.com, skyind...@googlegroups.com
Are these run-on indexes? If so, there's a bug in SKY7 that causes the index to shutdown past about 60 entries. If you're in A-Z mode, that's in the W-Z area. The index will shutdown when you try to make any changes. The only workaround is to write the index indented, then after editing and error correcting, you switch back to run-on, change your cross references as necessary, and generate the index. Doreen

David Luljak

Nov 19, 2021, 9:12:06 PM11/19/21
to Doreen McLaughlin, skyind...@googlegroups.com

That’s bizarre! I’ll keep that in mind.

It’s still odd to me that I’ve done indexes in 7.0 for years without this problem, and I can assure you that they all had more than 60 entries! And all had at least one from the V-Z (I was wrong initially to say it started with W) range.

I appreciate the tip and will use it if necessary.

Dave

Sent from Mail for Windows

Theresa Duran

Nov 20, 2021, 11:33:13 AM11/20/21
to skyind...@googlegroups.com

I too have been using SKY 7 for many years and have never encountered a problem with run-in indexes crashing after a set limit.

Theresa