Ordering of letters and numbers in locators

Briony Tatem

Oct 1, 2022, 12:16:48 PM10/1/22
to SKYIndexUsers
Hello,

I'm fairly new to SKY and have been through the help manual but can't find the answer to this.

I'm indexing something using paragraph locators which are a combination of letters and numbers but can’t work out how to make SKY order them correctly. For example if the locators are A2.15 and B1.1, SKY will ignore the letter and order B1.1 first. How do I fix this so the locators go A2.15, B1.1?

Thank you!

Deborah Patton

Oct 1, 2022, 12:44:12 PM10/1/22
to Briony Tatem, SKYIndexUsers
I find complex locators to be the toughest part of SKY to wrap my head around, so join the club! When I get stuck I turn to John Bealle's guide: http://www.bealleindexing.ej345.com/SkyLocators.html
It will help you become familiar with Options>Index>Volumes/Chapters/Sections.
A2 and B1 in your locators are what SKY perceives as 'volumes' but you must 'enable' them in Options>Index> Volumes (etc). Click on the tabs across the top and notice how the screen changes -- particularly with the 'Sections' one. Read John's guide carefully. Adjust your settings. If you still have questions, come back.
What you need to do is possible though convoluted.
Deborah
Oct 1, 2022, 4:31:53 PM10/1/22
to SKYIndexUsers
Thanks to previous help on this list from Deborah Patton and John Bealle, I think this is what you would do:

Go the Options/Index/Locators menu, and in the Volumes/Chapters/Section area set these options:

- a colon (:) in the Input field
- nothing in the Output field (make sure this field is completely blank, with no hidden spaces or other text)
- check the Recognize Volume Labels box

For data entry, enter a colon between the letter and the number:
A:2.15
B:1.1

In the Preview Pane, you should see the correct formatting and sorting. Please let the list know if this doesn't work. I agree with Deborah that complex locators can be maddening!

Good luck - Shana Milkie

Briony Tatem

Oct 2, 2022, 12:03:40 PM10/2/22
to SKYIndexUsers
It works!!

I added the colon and it is now ordering correctly.

Thank you both so much for your help, and for the introduction to  John Bealle.

Best wishes,

Briony