locator error scan function

Maria Sosnowski

Jan 18, 2023, 7:40:34 PM1/18/23
to skyind...@googlegroups.com

Hello collective wisdom.

Does Sky have a function like this, which Cindex apparently does:

Does Sky have a function that tells you if a cite is out of range, or doesn’t match the proscribed pattern or is just plain missing?

I’m not aware of a function like that (in this case, it would tell me if any section numbers are missing, or if a locator is in a format different from the others)

I work on projects with section numbers in the format 1.23 or 2.34A, etc.  Is there a way for Sky to tell me if one is missing, or if one is formatted wrong (such as 1.23.13.12 in which case it should be 1.23 and 13.12 but someone typed a period instead of a comma to separate them).

Does Sky do this?  And if so, how?

Thanks!

Maria

Deborah Patton

Jan 18, 2023, 8:21:33 PM1/18/23
to Maria Sosnowski, skyind...@googlegroups.com
I think Sky's error scan can do some of it. Setting up locators for sections is pretty complicated. But once that's done -- and I haven't tried it lately -- I believe it would mark as an error something like 1.23.13.12
When I have to set up volumes, chapters, and sections, I always say my prayers ahead of time. And I consult John Bealle's Sky locator guide: http://www.bealleindexing.ej345.com/SkyLocators.html It's crazy long and thorough and brilliant so worth reading all the way through. John has retired and I don't know anyone now as dedicated to explaining these hard things. One of the main things to remember is that this function has to be enabled and there's a check box that needs to be checked to do it.
I try to set up volumes, chapters, and sections myself and if I screw them up, then I ask Kamm for help. After a lot of years, I'm getting better at them.
Deborah