sorting alpha and numeric sections (Sky 8)

AElfwine Mischler

Oct 27, 2020, 5:11:46 PM10/27/20
to SKYIndexUsers
I hope someone can help me figure this out -- or a good workaround.

I'm doing a multivolume index. Making a master index with all the volumes in one file, and then splitting off each volume into its own file. Each volume will have its own index, and there'll be a cumulative index in the end -- way down the road.

Each locator has three sections plus page number: Volume, Book, Chapter, page. (This is a translation of a 15th century work that was divided into short books and chapters in the pre-printing press days.) The first "books" are introductory material that are not numbered in the text. There are actually three separate items, and I want to call them Intro A, Intro B, Intro C. (I might call them something more descriptive, such as their initials, but it's hard enough to sort them like this.)

So I have 1:Intro:A:2 and later in the book I have 1:1:1:75. Volume 1 Book 1 is, of course, sorting before Volume 1, Intro.
1:1:1:75
1:Intro:A:2

How can I get the Intro pages to sort before book 1? I've tried putting hidden 1 and hidden 0,  but that didn't work. I can put 0 (zero) instead of Intro, but I don't want 0 to print instead of Intro. This is a humongous project with multiple indexes, and I'd really like to get this right without having to fix things in the Word files. (I might not live long enough to finish the last volume and do the cumulative index.)

I'm using Sky 8, and Translation does NOT work for me in the locator field -- although the box is checked for it to work -- so that is probably not a viable option. Is there something else I can do??

Thanks.

AElfwine Mischler
Personal email: aelfwine...@gmail.com
Member, Editorial Freelancers Assoc. (EFA)
Member, American Society for Indexing (ASI)

Barry Campbell

Oct 28, 2020, 12:14:44 PM10/28/20
to AElfwine Mischler, SKYIndexUsers

Hi AElfwine

Depending on How Sky Index works you may heve a number of otions. You’d need to try them out to see if they work, alternatively contact Sky Software.

Option 1.

Does Sky evaluate negative numbers, can you use -1, -2 etc.

Option 2

Have a look at an ASCII table, i.e. http://www.asciitable.com/

There are characters that appear before numbers. Some such as () are likely to be checked by sky. You may be able to use others to achieve what you require.

Best wishes

Barry Campbell

IndexBase

    Indexing - science, history of science,  management, economics, accounting, technology,

          computing, humanities, history

    IndexConvert - Word add-in aids index import into Cindex, Macrex, Sky Index, Index-Manager,

          spreadsheet, database.

    IndexExploit - Word add-in for embedded indexing and 'hyperlinking' to Word and PDF files.

email: barry.c...@indexbase.co.uk

tel: (+44) 7842530968

Skype: barry.campbell75

web: http://www.indexbase.co.uk

If you have PDFs on the Internet to which I can have access,
Or
You use Acrobat Pro DC,
And you use a version of Word that will run VBA Macros (I.e almost any desktop version except 2008),
Then I will supply free of charge an IndexExploit compatible file containing a document map and your index which will link your index to the right page in the PDF(s) using a simple IndexExploit Goto command.
Alternatively I will help you create the document map.
This is applicable to any PDF or set of PDFs with a valid page number index.

IndexExploit takes the user from an index locator to the page in as little as one second.
The IndexExploit file can be made available to document users. They will need to download IndexExploit to use the file.
This offer is available to anyone seeing this message, even if it is passed on, but is subject to:
a. Expiry at the end of November 2020
b. Demand
c. Technical considerations that may limit operation.

IndexExploit can be downloaded at http://indexbase.co.uk/IXEDownload.html
Initial usage of IndexExploit allows for 100 free PDF Gotos, after that a licence is required.

sese...@gmail.com

Oct 28, 2020, 7:18:20 PM10/28/20
to SKYIndexUsers
Wow...sounds like the five-vol. "Sagas of Icelanders" thing I started indexing and got bogged down with in Sky 7 a few years back. I became a caregiver for Milady and never went back to it. I lost her in July, so maybe I'll use it as therapy and try again. So no, Aelfwine,  I don't have an answer but I'm looking forward to a fix, too.

Jack in CO/US