Pattern Groups in SKY 8

Theresa Duran

Mar 9, 2023, 3:52:51 PM3/9/23
to SKYIndexUsers

In a different thread, I gave instructions for a work-around method of conforming to a publisher's style of having two locator leaders after the main heading but only one locator leader after subheadings. This method involved inserting a character after all subheadings by using pattern groups.

I use pattern groups fairly frequently in SKY 7. However, when Siusan and I tried to use them in SKY 8, we both had disastrous results. SKY ended up inserting a phrase from a subheading over and over again in an endless loop, and the program crashed, damaging the index file.

There is at least one other post on the SKYIndexUsers forum in which someone else describes a similar catastrophe when attempting to use pattern groups in SKY 8 (see "Applying italics to scientific names" on July 1, 2022).

So I guess my question is, do any of you regular SKY 8 users ever use pattern groups? I find it hard to believe that they don't work at all in SKY 8. Is this a known bug?

Theresa

Deborah Patton

Mar 9, 2023, 5:10:56 PM3/9/23
to Theresa Duran, SKYIndexUsers
Gosh! This sounds horrible! I can't test this right now, but I'll try it in another couple of hours. Maybe someone else can also be testing this?
Deborah

Mar 10, 2023, 12:03:54 AM3/10/23
to SKYIndexUsers
If something doesn't work as described in the user guide, or used to work in v7 but is broken in v8, for heavens sake tell Kamm about it so he can fix it -- go to Help > Support and click on "I believe the program has malfunctioned."
Michael

Siusan Moffat

Mar 10, 2023, 7:39:01 AM3/10/23
to mjhw...@gmail.com, SKYIndexUsers

Done!

Siusan Moffat,
Indexing Society of Canada member
http://about.me/siusanmoffat
absoluteindexing.com

I acknowledge that I live and work in the
territory of the Anishinaabe, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat,
and the Mississaugas of the Credit River, now home to many
Indigenous Peoples and newcomers from around the globe. I
recognize that decolonization must be an active and ongoing
process of reconciliation.