sorting and grouping on locators with Roman numerals

technica...@gmail.com

Dec 24, 2021, 6:50:55 PM12/24/21
to SKYIndexUsers
Hi everyone:  I'm using Sky 8, and I'm indexing a book where the preface is numbered from iii-xxiii, and the remainder of the book is numbered 1-159.

When I view the index in page number order, pages iii-xxiii come first, next are the entries with no locator, and last are the entries numbered 1-159.  This is mostly correct, because all the Roman numerals come before all the arabic numerals, but it seems to me the blank locators should come first.

The bigger problem comes when I group by locator.  If I group on iii-xxiii, to see all the entries for the preface, I get all the entries numbered iii-xxiii plus the entries numbered 3-23. If I group on 1-27 to see the entries for chapter 1, I get the entries numbered 1-27 plus all the entries for iii-xxiii.

Is there a setting that will fix this -- treating all Roman numerals as coming before all arabic numerals in grouping?  Or should I report this as a bug?

Thank you very much!

Angela Howard

Deborah Patton

Dec 25, 2021, 6:40:29 AM12/25/21
to Angela Howard, SKYIndexUsers
Oh right, sorry. Since your index isn't following the proper sorting rules it needs to be shaken up (so to speak). Try both of these: first Index>Resort and let it work. Then, for good measure, View>Refresh. Sometimes repeated switching views also helps -- Shift+F5, Shift+F8, Shift+F7.
I haven't had a chance to test why your Roman numerals are being conflated with Arabic ones for grouping, but I probably can at some point today unless someone else beats me to it.
Deborah

Dec 25, 2021, 7:10:25 AM12/25/21
to technica...@gmail.com, SKYIndexUsers
As to your grouping by locator -- you're right that Sky lumps equivalent values whether Roman or Arabic numbers but I don't think this is something that will be fixed. What I do when this happens is to take the result that has both of them and put that in locator order (Alt+Shift+F7), then I highlight the first one of the group I want, hold down the shift key and arrow down or otherwise navigate to the last one still holding the shift key and highlight the last one which will select that entire group. Now press Shift+F6 and you've got the group you need.
You can also PageDown or drag the slider in the scroll bar with your mouse to get to the end of the group.
Deborah