SKY 8 volume and repagination issue

Heather Pendley

Nov 17, 2020, 5:45:13 PM11/17/20
to IndexersDiscussionList, skyind...@googlegroups.com
I am working on my first split index (5 "chapters" and 1100 pages!) and entered page numbers without figuring out how to use the volume/chapter/section tab (first mistake). Initially, it was no problem: 1.10-1.11 or 4.351-4.355 was just fine. I got messages saying the last number was smaller than the first but ignored them because it wasn't true (second mistake). I was going to use a "translation" to fix it and set it up for next year once I had submitted the index since my deadline was so tight. (This is the same index that came in a .ucdx file that Barry had to convert for me.)

BUT, the client just told me they forgot a section smack dab in the middle of 3. It's only a few pages, but I couldn't repaginate because "the index is set up incorrectly for repagination" ...

So I thought I divided it up right made each period a colon (will go back to fix the :See also later). However, the numbers morphed into negative numbers or dropped the chapter number. Can anyone help?

Heather Pendley
Indexer│Copy Editor│Proofreader
Quick, Professional, Affordable
https://pendleysproediting.com/
Reading is dreaming with your eyes open
https://www.the-efa.org/memberinfo/heather-pendley-19907/

Deborah Patton

Nov 17, 2020, 6:58:42 PM11/17/20
to Heather Pendley, skyind...@googlegroups.com
First -- have you now figured what you need to do with volumes/chapters and sections?
Under the volume tab start at the top. Change the input and output separators to a period since your locator is 1.10. At the bottom, click on the Enabled box.
These two action indicate to Sky that you have what looks like a volume. It could be a chapter actually but that doesn't matter.
Hope you backed up before repaginating -- so restore that, make these changes and try repaginating again. It should work now.
Also, bookmark John Bealle's discussion on locators: http://bealleindexing.ej345.com/SkyLocators.html  It's a huge help. It may make you cross your eyes due to how technical it is, but it's saved my neck more than once.
Deborah