shortcuts for paragraph IDs?

Amanda Rodgers

Oct 22, 2021, 10:05:14 AM10/22/21
to SKYIndexUsers
Hi everyone,

I'm working on my second OUP index, and they require chapter/paragraph IDs rather than page numbers as locators  - for example, a locator might be C3.P14. This mix of letters and numbers (and punctuation!) really slows me down, and I haven't figured out a good way to cut down on the number of keystrokes for every locator. I'm sure many of you have done this type of index before, and I'd love to hear any shortcuts you may have figured out.

Thanks!!

Sincerely,

Amanda Rodgers
http://www.chameleoneditorial.com

Cheryl Lenser

Oct 22, 2021, 10:40:56 AM10/22/21
to SKYIndexUsers
Hi Amanda,

I do similar types of projects quite frequently and have typed up a cheat sheet for myself to search and replace the paragraph locators. In your example, I would use "14" as the original locator, then do a find/replace on just the page field to put in the additional numbers/letters. For my projects, each locator is in the format C03.0014 (always four numbers after the chapter number, leading zeros as necessary), so I do the find/replace to add the leading zeros, then I add the chapter number with the Add Prefix tool. For ranges, I do an additional find/replace on the hyphen and replace it with, for example, C03.- so the ranges are correct.

For the method I use to work, I have to update the locators for each chapter as I go. Just highlight one chapter's entries and press Shift-F6 to group them before doing the find/replace or using the Add Prefix tool.

Hope this helps!
Cheryl

--
Cheryl Lenser
Professional freelance indexer & editor

Oct 22, 2021, 10:55:07 AM10/22/21
to Amanda Rodgers, skyind...@googlegroups.com
I just noticed a mistake in the hyphen find/replace. It should be "-C03." otherwise the hyphen will be in the wrong place. Oops!! (See why I use a cheat sheet; that's what I get for not looking at it when I was typing the original message.)

Cheryl

--
Cheryl Lenser
Professional freelance indexer & editor

Oct 22, 2021, 11:10:25 AM10/22/21
to Cheryl Lenser, SKYIndexUsers
Cheryl, why do you do it that way rather than using the volumes feature in Sky? I’ve done that with four-part locators and it was easy to change the pages with Ctrl + < or >. I only had to change the others when I came to a new chapter, book, or volume. I’m not sure I totally understand your method — no need to explain it to me — but I’m wondering if there’s some advantage to it?

Ælfwine Mischler
Personal email: aelfwine...@gmail.com
Business email: aelf...@MischlerEditorial.com
Member, Editorial Freelancers Assoc. (EFA)
Member, American Society for Indexing (ASI)

Cheryl Lenser

Oct 22, 2021, 11:17:07 AM10/22/21
to AElfwine Mischler, SKYIndexUsers
Hi AElfwine,

I tried to figure out the volumes feature (John Bealle's Sky Locator Guide is excellent!), but just couldn't make it work for what I needed. The Add Prefix tool has been a lifesaver, though! There probably is an easier way to get the locators I need, but so far I haven't figured it out so I stick with what I know. :)

Thanks,
Cheryl

--
Cheryl Lenser
Professional freelance indexer & editor

Oct 22, 2021, 12:40:33 PM10/22/21
to skyind...@googlegroups.com
If anyone is interested in the cheat sheet I use, I've copied it below (I couldn't find a way to upload a document to the discussion site). This cheat sheet was written specifically for locators formatted as such: Cxx.xxxx where zeros are used to fill in as necessary. For example, C03.0014 and C14.1213 are both valid locators. One caveat with the find/replace: ALWAYS make sure it's doing what you want before clicking Replace All. Large locators (over 1000) can mess up the Replace All. The find/replace can obviously be adapted to work with whatever format your project uses.

Paragraph number expansion
Must be run in order, can skip any that don’t apply.
Group the records you want to change (select, then Shift+F6), then execute the following Find/Replace searches
(Ctrl+H to open Find/Replace dialog box, Ctrl+P to search Page field only, be sure Pattern Matching is turned on):

Find: <{[1-9][0-9][0-9]}-{[1-9][0-9][0-9][0-9]}
Replace: 0{1}-{2}

Find: <{[1-9][0-9][0-9]}-{[1-9][0-9][0-9]}
Replace: 0{1}-0{2}

Find: <{[1-9][0-9][0-9]}
Replace: 0{1}

Find: <{[1-9][0-9]}-{[1-9][0-9][0-9]}
Replace: 00{1}-0{2}

Find: <{[1-9][0-9]}-{[1-9][0-9]}
Replace: 00{1}-00{2}

Find: <{[1-9][0-9]}
Replace: 00{1}

Find: <{[1-9]}-{[1-9][0-9][0-9]}
Replace: 000{1}-0{2}

Find: <{[1-9]}-{[1-9][0-9]}
Replace: 000{1}-00{2}

Find: <{[1-9]}-{[1-9]}
Replace: 000{1}-000{2}

Find: <{[1-9]}
Replace: 000{1}

Select all records (Ctrl+A)
Tools: Add Prefix
Field: Page
Text: C01.   (Change 01 to match correct chapter number.)

Find: C01.see   (Change 01 to match correct chapter number.)
Replace: see

Find: -
Replace: -C01.  (Change 01 to match correct chapter number.)