Sky 8 crashy?

Rudy Leon

Jul 12, 2022, 2:50:45 AM7/12/22
to SKYIndexUsers
Hi all,
I have an index to finish before I sleep, and as usual SKY 8 is a bit crashy today. It always knows when I am under deadline, but it's not usually as bitchy as it has been today. I've had to restart it 5 times already today. And I only have 1100 entries, 200 pages, so it's hardly a big index.

I checked for updates, and I am up to date.

I'm just wondering if this is just me/my install/my computer, or everyone? And if anyone has had Kamm diagnose the problem?

Thank you,

Rudy Leon
Editing & Indexing

Evoke: Words for Hire http://www.evokewordsforhire.com/

Member EFA, ASI, ACES, and NWEG

Deborah Patton

Jul 12, 2022, 5:47:03 AM7/12/22
to Rudy Leon, SKYIndexUsers
I've not had v8 crash in years. Every once in a while an index gets corrupted  and weird things happen but it's Always fixed when I create a new index and merge the original one into it. Yes I have to adjust the name of it slightly and fiddle with the settings. It hasn't been that my templates are buggy so I apply some to the new one but I wouldn't make a new template from a corrupted one. If I need a template and have worked previously for that same customer I'd make a new customer template from that older index and apply it to your merged index.
The times I've had a corrupt index have been fewer and farther in between, but things happen sometimes so this is the way to fix them.
Good luck!
Deborah

Jul 12, 2022, 7:50:18 AM7/12/22
to SKYIndexUsers
I have used SKY 8.0 for years as well without the significant amount of crashing reported by Rudy. Here are some things that I do to avoid it:
  • always open the file from within SKY by going to the folder or by from the file folder directly
  • I do not have the most recent file "opened" when I open SKY
Another consideration is your computer.  When I work, I might have several programs open at once - Macro program, SKY (sometimes 2 windows if I am updating an index), PDF program, and Chrome window.  Your computer needs to be fast and agile so a baseline computer could lead to more crashing because it just can't process everything at once.  You'll notice a difference when using the search function of very large indexes as well.

The reason you might notice the crashing more when you're under a deadline is that you're working faster, and your computer gets glitchy because it just can't keep up.

I hope that helps.

Michelle
Michelle Guiliano, DPM

Iris Ailin-Pyzik

Jul 12, 2022, 8:55:39 AM7/12/22
to SKYIndexUsers
I have a relatively new laptop that I'm very happy with.  It's fast and has a relatively large amount of memory.  This leads me to often have my browser open with a LOT of tabs.  Odd things happen in both the browser and other programs, especially Excel, when it hits a point where the amount of memory is pushed beyond its tolerance.  When Excel gets wonky, I restart and then don't open the browser until after I have whatever Excel wasn't doing right, completed.  Sometimes you get a message about not enough memory, but most times not.  Just something to be aware of, and to agree with the prior message that says to limit what other programs you have open.

I'll also add that my browser of choice is Chrome, even though it is a memory pig.  Sometimes just closing all Chrome windows and re-starting it will fix the problem, if it is a problem in Chrome.

Iris Ailin-Pyzik
Crystalline Systems