Different spacing between main headings and locators and between subheadings and locators

c...@christopherphipps.co.uk

Nov 10, 2020, 4:42:22 AM11/10/20
to SKYIndexUsers
Hello

Does anyone know how to produce run-on entries where the spacing between main headings and locators is different to that between subheadings and locators?

I have a client whose house-style is for run-on subheadings with two spaces (no punctuation) between a main heading and the first locator, but only one space (no punctuation) between a subheading and the first locator.

Any suggestions/tips gratefully received

Christopher

Theresa Duran

Nov 10, 2020, 11:28:18 AM11/10/20
to SKYIndexUsers
Christopher, I asked about this issue in early 2019 when the Sky group was still on Yahoo. I assume you're doing work for McFarland, as I was. Deborah Patton kindly replied to my 2019 post, and I ended up using her approach with minor modifications. I use Sky 7, but this should work for v.8 as well. Here's what Deborah wrote:

*****
I don't see a clear way to do it (I'm using Sky 8) so I think what you want is a way to find the subentry records.  Set your locator leader to two spaces, but then I'd index as usual.  At the end you can Find all the subentries (Find * in the sub1 field and group the result) and with them grouped you can add a character (maybe a ^ or something ) before the locators for that entire group.  Generate the index. [MY NOTE: I used an @ symbol rather than a caret ^ since the latter has special significance in Word searches.]

When you get to Word, you can find all instances of two spaces and that character and replace with one space.  Be careful with replacing them all at once.  Or try it on a small subsection to find out what happens
*****

This approach worked great for me. I can send you a screenshot of the pattern matching that I used in Sky to insert the @ symbol at the end of all subs.

HTH,
Theresa