Staying in Sky

Siusan Moffat

Dec 14, 2021, 9:39:16 PM12/14/21
to SKYIndexUsers
Hi Folks,

Something seems wrong...

I had to set up a new computer. Got Sky and PDF working. When I go to
scroll in the PDF, either with mouse or finger on screen, I have to
click to get back into Sky to do an entry.

Is this normal? If so I never noticed how awkward it was before! if it's
not normal, how do I fix it?

It seems like I have an upgraded Sky (I just downloaded it the other
day) but I'm not 100% sure. Everything else works fine with the free
Adobe reader.

I installed Macros Xpress but not using it until I get Margret's Macros
up and running.

Siusan

--
Siusan Moffat,
Indexing Society of Canada member

I acknowledge that I live and work in the traditional
territory of the Anishinaabe, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat,
and the Mississaugas of the Credit River, now home to many
Indigenous Peoples and newcomers from around the globe. I
recognize that decolonization must be an active and ongoing
process of reconciliation.

Shmuel Gerber

Dec 15, 2021, 6:45:24 AM12/15/21
to Siusan Moffat, SKYIndexUsers
You might want to check the "Scroll Inactive Windows When I Hover Over Them" setting in Windows to set how the mouse scrolling works.

If you scroll with fingers on the screen, I don't know how it would be possible to scroll without also changing the focus to the window you are scrolling, but I could be wrong about that.

--Shmuel Gerber

Siusan Moffat

Dec 15, 2021, 9:31:24 AM12/15/21
to Shmuel Gerber, SKYIndexUsers

That didn't work, but I tested out my old computer and found the same thing. I'm not sure why I didn't notice this before? Using the mouse is fine. I can use the scroll wheel to scroll the PDF and stay in Sky. But as soon as I use the keyboard (track pad and "little red mouse button" of the thinkpad) or fingers on screen I have to click to get back inside Sky.

Does anyone know a way of getting the keyboard to behave like the mouse?

Siusan

Shmuel Gerber

Dec 15, 2021, 12:14:07 PM12/15/21
to Siusan Moffat, SKYIndexUsers
When you use the scroll wheel, you are able to scroll without "clicking" in the Adobe Reader PDF window, by hovering the mouse pointer over that window and turning the wheel. Therefore, SKY can retain the current focus for purposes of keyboard input even after you scroll the wheel over the PDF window.

But if you scroll by clicking or pressing on the scroll bars or buttons inside the PDF window, or by swiping with a finger on the screen, you have activated that window. Therefore the computer does not know that you intend to be typing in the SKY window unless you switch back to it.

If you have a trackpad/touchpad, you should be able to scroll without activating the window by using the "gesture" of swiping with two fingers. But that seems to work only with the pad, not with the touchscreen.

Some touchpads have a marked area along the edges that allow scrolling by swiping along that area.

When using these gestures, it might scroll in the opposite direction of what you would expect.

--Shmuel Gerber

Siusan Moffat

Dec 15, 2021, 12:38:58 PM12/15/21
to Shmuel Gerber, SKYIndexUsers, SKYIndexUsers

Shmuel you are amazing! I needed a "gesture" 101 lesson! I've spent so many years doing the "middle finger to move the cursor and index finger to click" on the track pad I never knew the mysteries of the other options!

Thanks so much :)

Siusan