Ctrl+Alt+I in Sky 8 on Windows 11

AElfwine Mischler

May 20, 2024, 10:55:52 PMMay 20
to SKYIndexUsers
I’m traveling for several months and the external monitor that is available to me is not compatible with my Windows 10 laptop, and I am thus forced to use the Windows 11 laptop that I bought and set up last year but never transitioned to. (I hate W11.)

I know that previously when I used Ctrl+Alt+I (eye) to invert a name, I could repeat that keystroke combination and Sky would move one more name to the front. For example:
Bilal Abdul Aziz => Aziz, Bilal Abdul => Abdul Aziz, Bilal

But now on the W11 computer, repeating the keystroke combination just uninverts the names:
Bilal Abdul Aziz => Aziz, Bilal Abdul => Bilal Abdul Aziz

Is there some setting I need to fix? (There were several things I had to fix to get Sky to behave as on my older PC, and I had trouble finding where they were.) Or is this some weirdness with Sky on Windows 11?

And BTW, has anyone been able to get the Snipping Tool in W11 to work as it did in W10? I seem to be following instructions, but it is not following mine.

Happy indexing!

Ælfwine Mischler
Personal email: aelfwine...@gmail.com
Business email: aelf...@MischlerEditorial.com
www.MischlerEditorial.com
American Society for Indexing (ASI)

Line by Line Indexing

May 21, 2024, 10:20:51 AMMay 21
to SKYIndexUsers
My computer snuck in the Windows 11 update when I clicked on a button too quickly a couple of weeks ago. So now my desktop is running on Windows 11.  I haven't had the same problem with the ctrl + alt + I .  On my computer, repeating the keystrokes did invert the name to the front.  I know this doesn't solve your problem...but I thought you might like to know.

Michelle

Our business hours might be different. Feel free to respond when it's convenient for you.

Deborah Patton

May 21, 2024, 10:23:54 AMMay 21
to AElfwine Mischler, SKYIndexUsers
One time I had a problem with some keystroke combination not working and it was one I use all the time. Kamm had no idea so I took it to my local computer repair shop. Turned out it was a Google thing that had taken over. Once that was disabled, SKY worked fine again.
Deborah

AElfwine Mischler

May 21, 2024, 10:31:03 AMMay 21
to Deborah Patton, SKYIndexUsers
Thanks to everyone. It does seem odd that this keystroke works differently for different people. I don't have a computer shop to go to, but my son or son-in-law should be able to help me track down a problem in Google (or maybe even Windows) if I can't find it myself.

Ælfwine Mischler
May – Sept. 2024: time zone -5 UCT
Personal email: aelfwine...@gmail.com
American Society for Indexing (ASI)

AElfwine Mischler

May 21, 2024, 10:41:38 AMMay 21
to SKYIndexUsers
I just did another try with Snipping. I got it to work -- but it seems there's an extra step of Win+Shft+S -- except that I can't find the folder where I told Win 11 to put it. Grrrr. Well, it was only a practice, and I'll have to deal with that headache later. I need to get work done.

Ælfwine Mischler
May – Sept. 2024: time zone -5 UCT
American Society for Indexing (ASI)

Theresa Duran

May 21, 2024, 11:10:51 AMMay 21
to SKYIndexUsers

AElfwine, I had similar keystroke problems a couple years ago when I loaded SKY onto a new Lenovo laptop with Windows 11. It ended up being the laptop’s function keys, which were automatically programmed to do certain things unless you disabled them. They were interfering with the SKY keystroke combinations.

Hope you figure it out!

Theresa

gerber...@gmail.com

May 21, 2024, 12:11:39 PMMay 21
to SKYIndexUsers

Turn on this option in SKY Index:

Options --> Preferences --> General --> Name Inversion Options: Invert by rotating names (ignores prefixes)

--Shmuel Gerber

AElfwine Mischler

May 21, 2024, 12:27:18 PMMay 21
to gerber...@gmail.com, SKYIndexUsers
THANK YOU, SHMUEL! That is indeed the answer! Rudy, did you see this reply?

Ælfwine Mischler
May – Sept. 2024: time zone -5 UCT
American Society for Indexing (ASI)

Deborah Patton

May 21, 2024, 1:01:34 PMMay 21
to AElfwine Mischler, gerber...@gmail.com, SKYIndexUsers
Ah right... when we install SKY on a different machine, we have to re-jigger lots of settings. I forgot about that.
Glad you're back in business Aelfwine --
Deborah

Line by Line Indexing

May 21, 2024, 1:59:46 PMMay 21
to SKYIndexUsers
Isn't there a way to save a file of our settings/preferences? I'm not talking about a template file for indexes, but the global preferences/settings. I want to say that there is...but I couldn't find it in the User's Guide.

Can anyone else chime in? This would be useful when any of us need to upgrade our computers!

Thanks in advance,

Michelle

Our business hours might be different. Feel free to respond when it's convenient for you.

AElfwine Mischler

May 21, 2024, 2:18:13 PMMay 21
to Line by Line Indexing, SKYIndexUsers
Good suggestion, Michelle!
A work-around would be to take a bunch of screenshots of the settings, and then refer to those to set up the new computer.

Ælfwine Mischler
May – Sept. 2024: time zone -5 UCT
Personal email: aelfwine...@gmail.com
American Society for Indexing (ASI)

Rudy Leon

May 21, 2024, 2:27:55 PMMay 21
to AElfwine Mischler, gerber...@gmail.com, SKYIndexUsers
Yes, this is great! Thanks Shmuel!

Thank you,
Rudy Leon
Editor, Book Coach, Indexer, and Faculty Development Professional