SKY says file is open, but it is not

12 views
Skip to first unread message

Lisa Sorenson

unread,
Sep 28, 2026, 1:54:36 PM (13 days ago) Sep 28
to SKYIndexUsers
Hello!

I have issues with the program closing when I use the copy keyboard shortcut. I've asked the group (and Kamm) about this and there is no resolution on my end so I just live with it, but it's likely something to do with Windows 11.

My issue is that most of the time when this happens, I can just open the file again and pick up where I left off. Sometimes, I re-open the file, SKY opens, but I see no file- just the grey window. When I go into file and open the file, a window pops up stating, "The 'file name' is already open. Please use your Windows Taskbar to work with this index". I can't see the file anywhere. It doesn't seem to be minimized or hiding in the program window that I can see, and right-clicking on the SKY icon in the taskbar yields no results. 

When this happens, I'm forced to use the most recently backed up file, and since the minimum increment of backup creation is every 30 minutes, oftentimes I have to re-do the last 30 minutes of work.

Has anyone encountered this issue, and figured out how to fix it?
Thanks,
Lisa

Deborah Patton

unread,
Sep 28, 2026, 3:31:08 PM (13 days ago) Sep 28
to Lisa Sorenson, SKYIndexUsers
This sure is annoying -- I've had it happen to me, but I'm not sure why it happens. And the file you need is stuck in the ether (more or less).
What I do is open the Task Manager (Ctrl+Alt+Delete, then scroll down to the Task Manager).
From there I click on SKY and in the upper right corner of that display is 'End Task' which is what I want to do.
That closes SKY and I start from scratch and it opens just fine. No need to go to the backup.
Please let us know if that doesn't help you find what you need -- this has happened to me in quite a while.
Deborah


--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "SKYIndexUsers" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to skyindexuser...@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/skyindexusers/CA%2BfbwUP7SnJdOyouLok6n4wzmBz4nN6CBQQk_3kJC6taZ2_D_w%40mail.gmail.com.

Reply all
Reply to author
Forward
0 new messages