questions from a newbie

Diana Palardy

Mar 28, 2023, 12:48:46 PM3/28/23
to SkyInd...@googlegroups.com
I'm in the Berkeley class and I was wondering if I could ask a few questions to make it easier for me to use the software for my upcoming projects:

1. For some reason, while I am editing the index on the right-hand side of the screen, it often switches over to the Index pane on the left and starts searching for something (the word "Search" pops up above the words Index pane, and the only way I have figured out how to get out is to click on something in the index pane and then click back on the main area on the right). I'm sure that I'm typing something by accident that is switching it over to that mode/pane, but I'm not sure what. Does anyone know what it is?
2. When I type a main heading, it starts to auto-populate, but it doesn't do that when I am in the locator/page section on the right. How do I get it so that I can do that (auto-populate) for that locator area too (like when I want to do cross references)?
3. I was wondering the best way to do search and find in the editing panel. I have the habit of using Control F because of Microsoft Word and it does let me find things, but I get muddled and sometimes it seems easy and works fine, but other times it doesn't and I just want to search in the editing area, not the Index pane.
Thanks!!!
Best wishes,
Diana

AElfwine Mischler

Mar 28, 2023, 1:27:21 PM3/28/23
to Diana Palardy, SkyInd...@googlegroups.com
Hi Diana,

I love answering questions because I have to look for the answers myself sometimes.

1) I did not know the keyboard shortcut to switch between the grid and the index pane. Now I do. Ctrl+Tab toggles between those views. Are you hitting that combination accidentally?

2) In Options > Data Entry > AutoComplete, at the bottom you have to check cross-references if you want the AutoComplete to work there. (I had totally forgotten about this setting, as I leave it checked.)

Sky-autocomplete.PNG
And I see that I should have checked "Update when index entries are edited". No wonder I'm having problems!

3. You wrote:
I was wondering the best way to do search and find in the editing panel. I have the habit of using Control F because of Microsoft Word and it does let me find things, but I get muddled and sometimes it seems easy and works fine, but other times it doesn't and I just want to search in the editing area, not the Index pane.
This last question has me confused. You use both "editing area" and "Index pane" but to me those are the same thing. Do you mean the Entry Grid and the Index Pane? I've always searched in the Grid, and Ctrl+F has always worked for me. Perhaps you are searching in the Index Pane but have "Group results" clicked on. I can see that that might cause problems. I don't think I've ever used Search in the Index Pane, and I almost always group the results. I might then do the actual editing in the Index Pane, but the Search is done in the Grid.
Let us know if you have other questions. Good luck with your learning.

Happy indexing,

Ælfwine Mischler -- based in Cairo but visiting family in the USA
Personal email: aelfwine...@gmail.com
American Society for Indexing (ASI)
Indexing Society of Canada / Société canadienne d’indexation (ISC/SCI)

Diana Palardy

Mar 28, 2023, 2:20:04 PM3/28/23
to AElfwine Mischler, SkyInd...@googlegroups.com
I realized that my last email was just in response to Ælfwine.

In case any other newbies are having the same problem, I figured out what I was doing wrong regarding my first problem. I was accidentally clicking on the Index pane on the left and then when I would start typing what I thought was in the main heading section in the grid pane, nothing was showing up on the grid. Instead, it was creating a search on the left side in the Index pane with that specific letter thatI was entering. So I have to stop accidentally clicking on the index pane.
It completely makes sense now.
Thanks!
Diana

Deborah Patton

Mar 28, 2023, 2:31:13 PM3/28/23
to Diana Palardy, AElfwine Mischler, SkyInd...@googlegroups.com
I don't know if the student version does this, but you don't have to have the Index Pane on the left. At one point it was above the Grid and you can change to that position if you'd like. It's what I prefer, but many prefer it on the left.
Click on View>Preview Pane on Left
If you put it above the Grid that may be further protection against clicking in it by mistake.
Deborah