diacritics too early in term for autocomplete?

Rudy Leon

May 5, 2024, 4:50:19 PMMay 5
to SKYIndexUsers
Hi all,
I frequently get frustrated by not being able to use autocomplete when an entry has a diacritic at the second or third character (current example, Cárdenas). I either ignore the diacritic and make a note to go back and correct the array once finished, or I interrupt flow to find the correct term and paste it in. I'm about to try using PhraseExpress to autocorrect, but I'd rather keep it in SKY if possible.

Is there a way to force SKY8 to carry this somehow? I tried the acronym manager, but the name is too long and it wouldn't allow. And I didn't see a way to use AutoComplete Manager to do this (but I don't understand what I would do with that in any situation...)

Thank you,
Rudy Leon
Editor, Book Coach, Indexer, and Faculty Development Professional

Theresa Duran

May 6, 2024, 1:05:06 PMMay 6
to SKYIndexUsers

I deal with this situation all the time, and my preferred work-around is the Acronym Manager. While the acronym you assign to the term should be four letters max, the expanded term itself can be up to 254 letters.

For example, if you have the entry “Cárdenas, Juan Ignacio de” and it has subheadings or a large number of locators, you could assign it the acronym “crd” and have that expand to the full inverted name. If you have multiple Cárdenas entries, you could have “crd” expand just to “Cárdenas,” (include the comma) or you could create a slightly different acronym for each name:

crdj = Cárdenas, Juan Ignacio de

crds = Cárdenas, Santiago

Sometimes an entry with a front-end diacritic will have only a few locators, and it’s not worth the trouble to create an acronym for it. In those cases, I use either the Browse pane (Alt+Ctrl+B) or “Go to” command (Ctrl+G) to jump to a nearby entry, and then I can easily click on the entry with the diacritic.

Theresa