more formatting

Siusan Moffat

Mar 7, 2023, 9:48:12 AM3/7/23
to SKYIndexUsers

Hi again,

I need my index to look like this:

index  4,6,8

and

index: overview 1; history of 5; etc 6;

I changed "leader" to two spaces in "index>locators>general>leader" but now that has put two spaces everywhere, including in the subs where there needs to be one space before the locator.

I also need the cross references to look like this:

indexing  4,6,9; see also editing

I must not be in the right place to format this correctly?

Thanks

Siusan

--
Siusan Moffat,
Indexing Society of Canada member

I acknowledge that I live and work in the
territory of the Anishinaabe, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat,
and the Mississaugas of the Credit River, now home to many
Indigenous Peoples and newcomers from around the globe. I
recognize that decolonization must be an active and ongoing
process of reconciliation.

Deborah Patton

Mar 7, 2023, 9:56:36 AM3/7/23
to Siusan Moffat, SKYIndexUsers
This spacing thing Sky doesn't do well. We can put in one space or two but either choice applies to all heading levels. The last time I needed to do this I made it two spaces and made no changes when I sent it in. Didn't even call their attention to it and had no complaint.
One of the other things that changes how cross refs are formatted are whether or not the index style is indented or run in. You're in the right spot and should be choosing 'after locators.' But the indented vs. run-in issue may be running the show.
Deborah
Mar 7, 2023, 10:02:47 AM3/7/23
to Deborah Patton, SKYIndexUsers

Yipes! Well that could be a potential nightmare :( Sounds like this might be another one of those "Kamm doesn't like run-in so he hasn't made it easy to set up formatting for it."

Thanks for letting me know!

Siusan

Theresa Duran

Mar 7, 2023, 8:07:30 PM3/7/23
to SKYIndexUsers

I confirmed with Siusan offlist that she figured out the cross-reference settings but is stuck on how to get SKY to insert two spaces as a locator leader after main headings, but only one space as a locator leader after subheadings. This issue has come up several times before on this discussion list. Deborah was the one who helped me figure out a work-around, which is done partly in SKY and partly in Word.

In SKY, set your locator leader [Index Options>Locators] to two spaces, and then index as usual. At the very end of the indexing process in SKY, you need to find and group all the subentries.

Find: *  [an asterisk with no spaces]

Field: Sub1

Pattern Matching: yes

Group Results: yes

Once those entries are grouped, you’re going to insert a symbol at the end of each subheading. When I did this, I used an @ symbol, but it could be any symbol that is not already in your index.

Find: {*}  [an asterisk inside curly braces]

Field: Sub1

Replace: {1}@

Pattern Matching: yes

You should now have an @ symbol at the end of every subheading. Generate your index in Word. Search for all instances of @ followed by two spaces, and replace them with a single space. That should do it. You may want to do another search to make sure there are no additional @ symbols left in the index.

Theresa

Theresa Duran

Mar 9, 2023, 3:40:07 PM3/9/23
to SKYIndexUsers
The instructions given in my last post (on how to achieve different locator leaders at the main and sub1 levels) were developed in SKY 7 and do not work in SKY 8. I will start a new discussion thread on the problems that Siusan and I encountered in SKY 8.

Theresa

mjhw...@gmail.com

Mar 10, 2023, 12:13:09 AM3/10/23
to SKYIndexUsers
This truly is one of the craziest formatting requests from a publisher I've ever come across. But if it's a common request then it's worth asking Kamm to add it as a feature in a future release of SKY. How many publishers requiring this format would you think there are? If you can name, say, 10 different clients requesting it then I think you have a case for demanding the additional feature.
Michael

Siusan Moffat

Mar 10, 2023, 7:41:40 AM3/10/23
to mjhw...@gmail.com, SKYIndexUsers

I think it might only be one :D :D But obviously I can't say for sure!

Siusan