URGENT: semi-colons and spaces between subs (Sky 8)

AElfwine Mischler

Oct 20, 2021, 3:39:50 PM10/20/21
to SKYIndexUsers
I'm supposed to turn this index into the client in one hour. It's about 3,400 records.

Run-in style. Some entries are very long. I have one super long entry in which some of the subs are running into each other, i.e. there's no semi-colon and space. Not even a space. Other subs in that same entry are OK. There are 450 records of them for me to go through manually! Some other entries have the same problem. I haven't checked yet whether it's only happening in the really big entries, but that shouldn't matter.

I closed the file and Sky and reopened. Still a problem. I closed everything and rebooted the computer. Same thing. I don't see anything in the hidden codes that should cause a problem.

Any ideas what's going on? Do I need to call in Kamm on this?

I think I'll let the client know that the index is ready except for this problem. I don't think my eyes can proofread tonight.

Merci schön.

Ælfwine Mischler -- unhappily indexing
Personal email: aelfwine...@gmail.com
Member, Editorial Freelancers Assoc. (EFA)
Member, American Society for Indexing (ASI)

Siusan Moffat

Oct 20, 2021, 4:06:43 PM10/20/21
to AElfwine Mischler, SKYIndexUsers

Did you change your format settings at all, especially with cross references?

This is one of the continuing problems I have with Sky and Run In.

I hate to say it, but considering the deadline you have, you MAY have to go thru your RTF manually to check all this. You might find that either getting help from Kamm or fiddling with presets will take longer :P

Sorry to hear! :(

Siusan

Siusan Moffat,
Indexing Society of Canada member
http://about.me/siusanmoffat,
absoluteindexing.com

I acknowledge that I live and work in the traditional
territory of the Anishinaabe, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat,
and the Mississaugas of the Credit River, now home to many
Indigenous Peoples and newcomers from around the globe. I
recognize that decolonization must be an active and ongoing
process of reconciliation.

AElfwine Mischler

Oct 20, 2021, 4:22:22 PM10/20/21
to Siusan Moffat, SKYIndexUsers
I contacted the editor and he said no problem to give it to him tomorrow. I haven't heard back from Kamm yet and I need to hit the sack soon. (After 10 p.m. here.) I think I could do it manually in Word when my eyes are fresh tomorrow. I think I could also use wildcards to find any number followed by any letter, and also any closing parenthesis followed by any letter -- for the See also xrefs from subs.

Ælfwine Mischler
Personal email: aelfwine...@gmail.com
Member, Editorial Freelancers Assoc. (EFA)
Member, American Society for Indexing (ASI)

AElfwine Mischler

Oct 20, 2021, 4:41:52 PM10/20/21
to Line by Line Indexing, SKYIndexUsers
I’ve closed up for the night. Major eye strain. Michelle, I’ll check that. It might be related to (see also), but I’m not sure. Is there any solution within Sky? A setting? Otherwise I’ll fix it manually in the morning when my eyes are fresh.

Ælfwine Mischler
Personal email: aelfwine...@gmail.com
Business email: aelf...@MischlerEditorial.com
Member, Editorial Freelancers Assoc. (EFA)
Member, American Society for Indexing (ASI)

On Oct 20, 2021, at 10:32 PM, Line by Line Indexing <mich...@linebylineindexing.com> wrote:

AElfwine,

Did you use "see also" with subheads? That might be the problem. I've had that happen to me with run-in indexes.  It has to do with how your run-ins are configured.  I can't remember off the top of my head the correct settings, but if you want me to look them up I'm happy to do that.

If this is the problem and you just want to fix this in Word, simply search "See also" and it will be the subhead BEFORE the subhead that has the "See Also."

If this isn't the case, then I hope I didn't confuse you :)  I hate it when things go wrong at the last minute.

All the best,

Michelle

P.S.  And I wanted to send my condolences.  I am sorry to hear you lost your brother.  Take care of yourself.
Michelle Guiliano, DPM

AElfwine Mischler

Oct 21, 2021, 8:34:37 AM10/21/21
to Line by Line Indexing, SKYIndexUsers
Michelle, you were right that the problem occurred when I had a xref in a sub (both see and see also). Well, this problem also gave me time to run a spell check and page-order proof (caught quite a few things), so it was a blessing in disguise. Kamm said the problem sounded like I had the settings for xrefs from subs to be first or last sub, which Sky can't do. I changed it, but the problem kept occurring. I finally generated the index and corrected it manually. It wasn't too bad with searching in Word for see.

I sent screen clips to Kamm just now. I'll attach them here too in case anyone understands these things better than I do.

Index settings
Tocqueville-index-settings.PNG

xref from main settings

tocqueville-xref-main-settings.PNG

xref from sub settings

tocqueville-xref-sub-settings.PNG

Thanks to everyone who helped.

Ælfwine Mischler

On Wed, Oct 20, 2021 at 10:32 PM Line by Line Indexing <mich...@linebylineindexing.com> wrote:
AElfwine,

Did you use "see also" with subheads? That might be the problem. I've had that happen to me with run-in indexes.  It has to do with how your run-ins are configured.  I can't remember off the top of my head the correct settings, but if you want me to look them up I'm happy to do that.

If this is the problem and you just want to fix this in Word, simply search "See also" and it will be the subhead BEFORE the subhead that has the "See Also."

If this isn't the case, then I hope I didn't confuse you :)  I hate it when things go wrong at the last minute.

All the best,

Michelle

P.S.  And I wanted to send my condolences.  I am sorry to hear you lost your brother.  Take care of yourself.
Michelle Guiliano, DPM

Siusan Moffat

Oct 21, 2021, 9:11:28 AM10/21/21
to AElfwine Mischler, Line by Line Indexing, SKYIndexUsers

I have been dealing with this issue for quite a long time. I have now created a template where the only thing in the RTF I have to change is mysterious semicolons after xref in subs that are the last in the line. I quick search for semicolons in Word and find the problematic ones. This is as close as I've come to having a problem free run-in with xrefs in subs.

I'm still quite peeved I have to do this, but after a flurry of emails with a fellow indexer who used Cindex and now uses Sky, I realized Cindex, just in the way it naturally works, would drive me bonkers.

Perhaps one day I will switch to Index Manager...

Siusan

Michelle Guiliano, DPM
PO Box 572 | Etna, NH 03750(603) 277-0352 www.linebylineindexing.com