RE: [SKYIndexUsers] Two files open at once? (Sky 7 or 8)

Judi

Sep 25, 2020, 7:02:56 PM9/25/20
to SkyInd...@googlegroups.com

I often have multiple SKY files open at once. A fair number of books from business faculty require 3 indexes: Subject, Personal Names, and Company/Brand Names.

I actually create all 3 in a single index. For entries for the Personal Names and Company/Brand, I use suffixes to code them. When the index has been completed—after the error scan, spell check, and double posting of acronyms—I then search and group on the suffix for Personal Names. I create a new SKY index and paste in the Personal Names. I do the same for Company/Brands. Suffixes are *** and *^*.

After they have been moved, I use S&R to replace the suffix with a blank space in the NAME and COMPANY indexes.

The one pitfall is remembering to “code” the entries for Personal Names and Company/Brands. I am sometimes so involved in indexing that I forget to do it. When I do the final reading, I look for entries that need to be moved. When reading the Personal Names and Company/Brands, I look for entries that may have been inadvertently miscoded and need to be moved.

It is possible to leave all entries in the subject index. At the very end, I color code the personal names and use the filter option to hide them. I use a different color for company/brands and hide them. The merit of the different colors is that it is possible to retrieve either group of entries if you ever need to. I also leave the suffix on those entries—as a double check on the color coding. Since the entries are hidden, it doesn’t matter.

A PITFALL is starting to make a change in the wrong index. Somebody asked about this, and yes, it is possible.

When I’m updating an index that I created for an earlier edition, I’ll sometimes open the spreadsheet for the earlier edition. That’s when it is easy to enter changes in the wrong index.

I have both Sky 7 and Sky 8. I work in Sky 7, but these comments should apply for either package. (I have used Sky 8 and migrated back to Sky 7.)

~Judi

Subject: Re: [SKYIndexUsers] Two files open at once? (Sky 8)

I've often wondered myself! Will be keen on the answer :)

Siusan

On 2020-09-25 11:39 a.m., AElfwine Mischler wrote:

I’m going to be starting soon on a humongous project. Four or five separate indexes, cumulative, for 14 to 20 volumes. Three volumes a year.

There will be one subject index, and also three or four name indexes that won’t have subentries. My plan was to put everything in one big master file, and then break out the individual volumes as they’re finished.

I’m planning to do one pass of a few pages to pick up the “mechanical” stuff, and then do a second pass to write the subject index.

Now I’m wondering if it might be better (“safer”) to put the name indexes (which will be long) in one file and the subject index in another. If I do that, is it possible to have two Sky 8 files open at the same time? How? Is it “safe” to have two files open, or they likely to clash with each other?

Has anyone done this?

Ælfwine

Ælfwine Mischler

Personal email: aelfwine...@gmail.com

Member, Editorial Freelancers Assoc. (EFA)

Member, American Society for Indexing (ASI)

Siusan Moffat,
Indexing Society of Canada member
http://about.me/siusanmoffat,
absoluteindexing.com

I acknowledge that I live and work in the traditional
territory of the Anishinaabe, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat,
and the Mississaugas of the Credit River, now home to many
Indigenous Peoples and newcomers from around the globe. I
recognize that decolonization must be an active and ongoing
process of reconciliation.