See also cross-references

Pam Sanchez

Feb 21, 2023, 1:38:40 PM2/21/23
to SKYIndexUsers

Ok, I am getting pretty frustrated with SKY 7, I have several instances where I have a ‘See also’ reference, and for whatever reason SKY isn’t putting it on a separate line.  It is part of a reference where the page numbers cause the S/H to wrap to the second line, then the See also follows the page reference without dropping to the next line.  I tried deleting the See also and then putting it back in, but it still does that.  Here us what it looks like in my index :

Tiepolo family, glaives of the palace guard of the, 123p,

    124–125. See also Glaives

Shouldn’t the See also Glaives drop to the next line???  And why is SKY putting in a period after the last page number?  SKY is doing this in three other places, is it because of the locators dropping to the turnover line?  I have several other cross-references, where it does not do this, but I noticed that the locators don’t turnover, so the cross-reference comes in on the next S/H level.

I had originally sent this email out on Feb 10th and have never heard back from anyone?

Any ideas?

Thanks

Pam

AElfwine Mischler

Feb 21, 2023, 1:51:30 PM2/21/23
to Pam Sanchez, SKYIndexUsers
I’m not on my computer and I haven’t used Sky 7 for a few years, so I can’t give details. But all of your problems can be fixed by going to the settings for cross-references. It sounds like you have an indented index, right? You can tell Sky to make the xref the last subentry. Don’t want the period? There are settings for what precedes the xref, and for whether it should have a capital or lowercase S, whether or not italic. Everything is in the options.

Ælfwine Mischler
Personal email: aelfwine...@gmail.com
Business email: aelf...@MischlerEditorial.com
American Society for Indexing (ASI)
Indexing Society of Canada / Société canadienne d’indexation (ISC/SCI)

Judi Gibbs

Feb 21, 2023, 2:04:14 PM2/21/23
to Pam Sanchez, SKYIndexUsers

That is a setting. Options>Index>/Cross-References>Placement

You will find 4 options for placing a See also reference.

>I am getting pretty frustrated with SKY 7

I’ve never had any problem with cross-references in SKY 7, but I know the settings.

~Judi

Theresa Duran

Feb 21, 2023, 2:12:10 PM2/21/23
to SKYIndexUsers

Pam,

Sorry to hear you’re still struggling with this issue. The settings for cross-refs can be confusing, but once you figure them out, SKY will reliably produce exactly what you want.

Is this a run-in or indented index? If you can provide examples of how you’d like the cross-refs to appear (both See and See also refs, at both main and sub levels), I can try to help you figure out the correct settings.

 Theresa

Pam Sanchez

Feb 21, 2023, 3:42:03 PM2/21/23
to Theresa Duran, SKYIndexUsers

Thanks everyone:

Here is how it should look in an indented index:

Tiepolo family, glaives of the palace guard of the, 123p,

    124–125

See also Glaives

I have tried several options, my Cross-Reference tab in SKY is ‘correct’.  I tried again, and finally went back into the index and ‘fixed it by hand’.  Any advice you can give me would be greatly appreciated.

Here is the Cross-references that I have set up in SKY7

Thanks

Pam

image001.png

Jochen Fassbender

Feb 21, 2023, 7:38:25 PM2/21/23
to skyind...@googlegroups.com
Hello Pam,

This is definitely *not* how it should look in an indented index. The "See also" in your example is flush left, that is, on the same level as your main heading. This would be very confusing for index users because all "See alsos" would look like main headings and also disturb the alphabetical order. Typographically speaking, this is a beginners' mistake.

The "See also" should be indented. More precisely, it should be differently indented than the turnover line above.

Anyway, I simulated your example in my test index (SKY 7) with exactly your cross-ref settings and don't encounter your problem. That is, my "See also" is correctly indented and on a separate line than the turnover line.

Maybe the culprit is another setting?

Jochen

Millis Indexing

Feb 21, 2023, 7:48:52 PM2/21/23
to skyind...@googlegroups.com
Hi, Pam,

Do you have the setting for merging orphan subentries on? That would make a subentry appear after the locators if it would otherwise be the only subentry. In Sky 8, the setting can be found in Options > Index > Index Style. It shouldn't be too much different, if at all, in Sky 7.

Best,
Kendra
--
Kendra H. Millis
President, American Society for Indexing, 2017-2018

Millis Indexing Services
MillisIndexing.com

www.MaineFiberWorkshop.com