Re: [SKYIndexUsers] Abridged summary of skyindexusers@googlegroups.com - 14 updates in 1 topic

Jay P T

Jul 23, 2022, 10:12:20 AM7/23/22
to SKYIndexUsers
I tacked the character map to my toolbar so it stays around whenever I need it for German, Spanish, Icelandic/old norse, etc. Once clicked, it's there with the whole schmear of characters.

Setting up a couple of language keyboards as options to toggle with (Winkey) + spacebar works, too, as long as your fingers don't fail you...

J.

On Sat, Jul 23, 2022 at 7:52 AM <skyind...@googlegroups.com> wrote:
Siusan Moffat <siusan...@gmail.com>: Jul 22 03:10PM -0400

Hi there,

I just can't find or make ñ in Sky (or elsewhere). Am I missing something?

I can't even make it in word using the shortcut ( alt+0209).

I am definitely missing something.
...more
Jochen Fassbender <j...@indexetera.de>: Jul 22 09:16PM +0200

Hi Siusan,

Obviously you can create this diacritic; it is correctly displayed in
your post.

So why not just copy & paste it into SKY? The basic character map also
contains it.

Jochen

...more
Amanda Rodgers <amanda.c...@gmail.com>: Jul 22 03:17PM -0400

Hi Siusan,

Try typing alt+164 directly in Sky; that always works for me.

I got so tired of searching through the character map in Sky that I
searched up a table of ASCII codes and printed my ...more
Siusan Moffat <siusan...@gmail.com>: Jul 22 03:19PM -0400

Yes I just copied and pasted into my email :) It will not copy and paste correctly in the word doc or Sky. Is it perhaps because it's in italics? I cannot say... I could not find in character map :( ...more
Siusan Moffat <siusan...@gmail.com>: Jul 22 03:22PM -0400

Hi,

Unfortunately, the alt+164 doesn't work either (neither Sky nor Word). I am using Margaret's Macros, turned that off and that didn't make a difference either.

Great idea about the printed ...more
Amanda Rodgers <amanda.c...@gmail.com>: Jul 22 03:27PM -0400

Could it have something to do with your font? I just opened the character
map in Sky 8 and found it right away (screenshot attached with ñ circled).

If all else fails, can you copy and paste it ...more
Siusan Moffat <siusan...@gmail.com>: Jul 22 03:33PM -0400

So what ended up working for me was to search for "164" (I didn't even realize you could search the character map. Although searching for "n" - in many configurations - didn't work at all.)
...more
"Judi Gibbs" <ju...@writeguru.com>: Jul 22 01:02PM -0700

Which is why dropping the translation table from SKY 8 was a bad idea. There are some diacritics that do NOT work in SKY 8. Tlingit and Himalayan diacritics are among them.

I understand Kamm ...more
AElfwine Mischler <aelfwine...@gmail.com>: Jul 22 04:21PM -0400

Judi, there is a Translation Manager in Sky 8. I’m using it on my current index because the diacritics copy as weird symbols (e.g. ¥ is ā, the registered trademark [circled R] is Ā). ...more
Heather Pendley <hea...@pendleysproediting.com>: Jul 22 01:40PM -0700

Try alt+164

*Heather Pendley*
Indexer│Copy Editor│Proofreader
Quick, Professional, Affordable
Click here <https://calendly.com/hpendley> to schedule a consultation
PendleysProEditing.com ...more
"Judi Gibbs" <ju...@writeguru.com>: Jul 22 02:17PM -0700

I did not know that. Was it there when SKY 8 first came out?

~Judi