em dash modified format

Matthew MacLellan

May 4, 2022, 2:53:07 PM5/4/22
to SKYIndexUsers
Hi there,

I'm back to you all with a SKY question. Sorry to load up the list so much with these!

I'm indexing a biography and want to use the em dash modified format. I've been following John Bealle's directions in the back of Margie Towery's book but they're not really cooperating. All the subs are being preceded by ;'s and the entries with dashes are being indented under their main entry. My understanding is I don't want the em dash entries to be indented.

His directions are kind of complicated to type out, and I'm not sure I should since it's in a published book. I have semicolons set up as prefix 4 for sub1 (same level precedes and don't care), and prefix 3+4 for sub2 (start lower level, yes and same level precedes, don't care).

So I guess my question is has anybody used these successfully for a run in em dash modified index? Or, if you have your own method, I am all ears.

This is the format the publisher agreed to, so other options are not options.

Thanks so much.

Matthew MacLellan

May 4, 2022, 3:10:13 PM5/4/22
to SKYIndexUsers
Sometimes I feel like my good sense doesn't come to me till I hit send. I tried many variations of settings before writing the list but I think I'm settled on repeating the heading, sorting on that text but hiding, and following it with the em dash and the additional heading.

last name, first name—letters

for example, with everything before the em dash hidden from printing, but sorting.

Of course, practical experience and sharing what you do is still welcome, but I think this will work for me.

Deborah Patton

May 4, 2022, 3:59:09 PM5/4/22
to Matthew MacLellan, SKYIndexUsers
Matt,
Your solution -- using the heading but hiding it -- is what I do. Wonky to set up but it works.
best,
Deborah