ellipse?

Siusan Moffat

Jan 2, 2022, 1:04:56 PM1/2/22
to SKYIndexUsers
Happy New Year everyone,

I just spent 10 min looking for the ellipse  in the character map. I use
this often enough that I should memorize the code... but I haven't...
and my new computer makes the character map smaller and harder to read,
that doesn't help things either. :P

Can someone send me the ellipse code?

Thanks in advance!

Siusan

--
Siusan Moffat,
Indexing Society of Canada member

I acknowledge that I live and work in the traditional
territory of the Anishinaabe, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat,
and the Mississaugas of the Credit River, now home to many
Indigenous Peoples and newcomers from around the globe. I
recognize that decolonization must be an active and ongoing
process of reconciliation.

AElfwine Mischler

Jan 2, 2022, 1:09:57 PM1/2/22
to Siusan Moffat, SKYIndexUsers
A Google search shows U+2026. (Or I guess just 2026 in Sky character map?)

https://unicode-table.com/en/2026/

Ælfwine Mischler
Personal email: aelfwine...@gmail.com
Business email: aelf...@MischlerEditorial.com
Member, American Society for Indexing (ASI)

On Jan 2, 2022, at 8:04 PM, Siusan Moffat <siusan...@gmail.com> wrote:

Happy New Year everyone,

Line by Line Indexing

Jan 2, 2022, 1:16:59 PM1/2/22
to AElfwine Mischler, Siusan Moffat, SKYIndexUsers
A couple of years ago Kamm explained that you can use ALT + CTRL + . to create an ellipse (note that it's ALT + CTRL and a period).  I just tried it (inSKY 8) and it works!  I think he said that it will work in SKY 7.0 too.

I hope this helps!

And Happy New Year to everyone!

Michelle
Michelle Guiliano, DPM

Siusan Moffat

Jan 2, 2022, 1:44:32 PM1/2/22
to Line by Line Indexing, AElfwine Mischler, SKYIndexUsers, matthew maclellan

Hi All,

YES that's the "code" that I use most. Thanks Michele! Thanks Aelfwine and Matthew too :)

And yes, that was the one of the best pieces of wisdom I got from Gail - stop wasting your time! People are around to help! :)

Siusan

On 2022-01-02 1:16 p.m., Line by Line Indexing wrote:
A couple of years ago Kamm explained that you can use ALT + CTRL + . to create an ellipse (note that it's ALT + CTRL and a period).  I just tried it (inSKY 8) and it works!  I think he said that it will work in SKY 7.0 too.

I hope this helps!

And Happy New Year to everyone!

Michelle
Michelle Guiliano, DPM
PO Box 572 | Etna, NH 03750(603) 277-0352 www.linebylineindexing.com

Iris Ailin-Pyzik

Jan 2, 2022, 4:07:32 PM1/2/22
to AElfwine Mischler, Siusan Moffat, SKYIndexUsers
OK, I'll be the PITA here.  The actual name for the symbol is "ellipsis".  This matters if you're going to do some kind of search for it.

But I'd like to also point out that if you have a separate number pad on your keyboard, you can also use the keyboard shortcut that shows in the bottom right corner of the keycaps window.  For the ellipsis, that shows as "Keystroke: Alt+0133".  So if you hold down the Alt key and type 0133 on the number pad (won't work with the main keyboard keys).  As a chemist, I learned the keystroke shortcuts for things like  °, ±, ², ³, µ.  Those are pretty uniform across fonts, and can be used across Windows apps, including Sky.  Not every character has a keystroke shortcut.

Also, if you haven't done so, turn on the advanced view in keycaps by clicking the check box.  There is a search window at the bottom, and the ellipsis can be found that way.  The search doesn't work for everything, and you might have to actually hit the search button, not just enter.  And if you type in 'superscript' in the search field, it finds all 10 from 0-9, along with a few other things.  The search will find an ellipsis, but does not find an ellipse.

OK, climbing off of soap box.

Iris

mjhw...@gmail.com

Jan 3, 2022, 12:18:02 AM1/3/22
to SKYIndexUsers
Alt+Ctrl+. is one of many codes that work across Microsoft products and seem to be built into the programming product that Kamm uses. If you're used to using such codes in Word then (provided that they don't have a special function in SKY, like Ctrl+-) then they'll often work in SKY too.
Michael