Ignoring text … and spaces?

AElfwine Mischler

Sep 22, 2021, 2:25:08 PM9/22/21
to SKYIndexUsers
Maria Sosnowski told me that when she ignores text, she also ignores the following space. I’ve been ignoring ibn but NOT ignoring the following space. Am I doing it wrong? Generally, when you ignore a word, do you ignore the following space?

I’m going to test this with a sample tomorrow, but I’m wondering about the general rule.

Ælfwine Mischler
Personal email: aelfwine...@gmail.com
Business email: aelf...@MischlerEditorial.com
Member, Editorial Freelancers Assoc. (EFA)
Member, American Society for Indexing (ASI)

Judi Gibbs

Sep 22, 2021, 2:35:31 PM9/22/21
to AElfwine Mischler, SKYIndexUsers

I also ignore the following space—and it always works fine for me.

~Judi

Judi Gibbs, MLS

President, American Society for Indexing, Pacific NW Chapter, 2012

Secretary, ASI National, 2014 – 2017

Indexing Society of Canada, 2017 – Present

Angela Howard

Sep 22, 2021, 3:00:46 PM9/22/21
to skyind...@googlegroups.com

It would depend on whether the text you're ignoring is at the beginning of the cell, or in the middle, I think.  If you're ignoring the first word on the line, I don't think it matters, because Sky ignores leading and trailing spaces.  If you're ignoring a word in the middle of the cell, you want to make sure there is still a space in between words so that it doesn't affect word-by-word sorting.

Angela Howard
Technical Indexing Services
ASI PNW Chapter Treasurer
technica...@gmail.com

mjhw...@gmail.com

Sep 23, 2021, 2:46:12 AM9/23/21
to SKYIndexUsers
On Thursday, September 23, 2021 at 4:25:08 AM UTC+10 aelfwine...@gmail.com wrote:
Maria Sosnowski told me that when she ignores text, she also ignores the following space. I’ve been ignoring ibn but NOT ignoring the following space. Am I doing it wrong? Generally, when you ignore a word, do you ignore the following space?

Just remember: as far as your computer is concerned, a space is simply a character like any other. It has its own ASCII/ANSI code and Unicode just like a letter of the alphabet or a symbol. (The reason why spaces can be ignored at the beginning or end of a cell is because the SKY program contains instructions for the computer to delete a space code that appears at the beginning or end of a field.)
Michael

Maria Sosnowski

Sep 23, 2021, 10:19:37 AM9/23/21
to SKYIndexUsers

And if you don’t ignore the space after the word, but just the word, then you are leaving two spaces between the words that are not ignored – the one before and the one after the word you are ignoring.  That extra space may cause trouble for sorting.

Plus when I double click on a word to highlight it to mark it ignored, the space after it is automatically picked up too.

Maria