SKY and Apple/Macintosh

Matthew MacLellan

Oct 6, 2021, 12:06:24 PM10/6/21
to SKYIndexUsers
Hello SKY users,

I'm a Cindex user hugely tempted to migrate to Sky. I have demo versions of Sky 8 and Parallels installed at the moment. Sky makes me smile.

I have more than a few questions.

- Is there anybody here working as an indexer and successfully using Parallels to run Windows on your Mac? I'm hoping to get some sense that it is possible and that I'll be able to deliver work.

- Sky, like most indexing software, seems to welcome users' use of shortcuts. They don't seem to operate in Parallels the way Sky intends, so advise on navigating this would be appreciated. I'll of course consult with Parallels, but I've tried a few things so far and no luck on *all* shortcuts (the most major ones seem to work, but for instance the ctrl tab shortcut to switch between the panes in Sky 8 is being stubborn).

- If there are users of Parallels reading, have you had issues running Margaret's macros?

Thank you for the time, and I've enjoyed reading previous discussions. I feel lightly concerned about reports of Sky 7/8 crashing, but I know there are multiple factors. At least I'll have a full version of Cindex installed, even if it may not be my first choice of program, after all.

warmly,
Matthew MacLellan

Matthew MacLellan

Oct 7, 2021, 1:33:22 PM10/7/21
to SKYIndexUsers
I thought I would follow/update on this message in case anybody comes across this query and is looking for similar advice in the future.

Several people kindly wrote to me off list, and I would say there was a range of experience reported – some experienced some frustration with using SKY using an emulator, but i did hear from one indexer who has been using Sky with Parallels for several years with few issues.

I've decided to go the route of purchasing a PC and SKY, perhaps just for indexing, but perhaps I'll also use it outside of that if I enjoy it. Now, I can also look forward to Margaret's Macros.

Thanks to those who wrote me.