locator with note running into next subhead (Sky 8)

AElfwine Mischler

Aug 24, 2022, 9:38:52 AM8/24/22
to SKYIndexUsers
In proofreading this run-in index, I came upon this in the subheadings of one entry:
al-Shāfiʿī, 5, 6, 173n22Shiʿi sources, 41–45, 95

rather than the desired:
al-Shāfiʿī, 5, 6, 173n22; Shiʿi sources, 41–45, 95

There may well be other examples, but I'm too tired to search for them now. What might be causing this? Some setting, I guess, where Sky is not recognizing the note correctly, or something of that sort. But what?

Thank you!

Ælfwine Mischler
Personal email: aelfwine...@gmail.com
Member, American Society for Indexing (ASI)

AElfwine Mischler

Aug 27, 2022, 7:07:38 AM8/27/22
to SKYIndexUsers
< In proofreading this run-in index, I came upon this in the subheadings of one entry:
al-Shāfiʿī, 5, 6, 173n22Shiʿi sources, 41–45, 95
rather than the desired:
al-Shāfiʿī, 5, 6, 173n22; Shiʿi sources, 41–45, 95 >

I was able to find more cases of these subheads running together by using wildcards in Word -- Find: ([0-9][a-z]) -- and there were seven such cases, not all of them involving notes. I asked Kamm, and he found that the common denominator was that the second subheading of each pair had a cross-reference. I've copied his answer here for anyone who is interested or has a similar situation:

The common denominator is that for all of the affected entries, the second entry of the pair has a cross-reference and is therefore using the first prefix in the Style settings which has no separator (see the table below):

image001.png

SKY Index does not currently have sufficient conditions to handle this situation. If you change Locator precedes? To

No, the problem goes away, but  there may be other consequences to that setting – maybe not, though. You’ll have to give it a whirl and see if that fixes it.

It may be that an additional prefix is needed to handle this situation. That’s something that will definitely happen with the next upgrade of SKY Index.

Me:

I've never looked at these custom settings (in Options > Index > Index Style) and don't fully understand them. When I wrote to Kamm, I had already sent the file to the client with the corrections made in Word and I had no desire to play with this further. But at least now I have some vague idea that these custom settings exist, but if I ever need to use them I'll probably have to ask for help.