Indents

Hazel Blumberg-McKee

Mar 5, 2024, 12:27:25 PMMar 5
to SKYIndexUsers
I've now written several indexes since my "vacation" from many years of indexing. Here's my question: I just printed out my latest index. Instead of turnover lines being indented, they run out to the left margin. The first line of each entry is indented. What in the world did I do wrong? I haven't had this problem before, and I suspect you all know how to fix it.

Thanks in advance for your help, now and in the past.

Hazel

Jochen Fassbender

Mar 5, 2024, 12:44:15 PMMar 5
to Hazel Blumberg-McKee, SKYIndexUsers
Hi Hazel,

You can fix the missing hanging indents by opening the Heading Style tab
under Index Options. There you have to select Turnover and Incremental.
Please refer to the user guide for more details.

With 1.5 of the basic indent of subheadings you'll get an appropriate
result for hanging indents.

Jochen

luer...@gmail.com

Jun 24, 2024, 4:46:55 AMJun 24
to SKYIndexUsers
I have a similar problem atm. I have set the indent to '0' (em dash in the index) but nothing happens when I try to change the turnover figure - whatever I put in still keeps the turnover set at the left margin. It reverts back to '0' when I go back into it.

Any ideas?

Many thanks,

Nic

Deborah Patton

Jun 24, 2024, 5:26:28 AMJun 24
to luer...@gmail.com, SKYIndexUsers
Is this lack of indent what you see in the Index Pane or in the generated index? To get the generated index, use the key combination Shift+F12 and it will open as a Rich Text File. Use the key combination Shit+F10 to view the Index Pane without the (data entry) grid.
Sometimes, if things go wacky (which they just about never do, but sometimes...), I'll shake things up by going to Options>Index>Index Style and changing the Preset. Yours is likely set at Indented. Choose another one -- like Run-on 1st subheading. Then close the index and/or close the program. Reopen SKY and your index file and choose Indented style again and see what happens. Hopefully that fixed it.
If you continue to have difficulty, the next step is to close that index and create a new one. Then click on File>File Management>Merge and choose your problem index to merge into this one. You will have to re-set all the index style options, but this certainly clears out any gremlins and your data will be intact.
Knowing tricks like this gives us control over our indexing software.
Deborah