Running a native Skia App in Browser using WASM

soh...@chromium.org

Jul 25, 2022, 10:27:53 AM7/25/22
to skia-discuss
Hi !

We were planning to experiment with running a native skia app via wasm in browser.
Although, Canvaskit is a good direction. But, we plan to have the application written in C++.

Is there any sample code (and std tooling like using emscripten etc.) in the skia repo (to run the sk_app for example) ?

Br,
Sohan

Micha

Jul 31, 2022, 3:07:45 PM7/31/22
to skia-discuss
Hi Sohan,
we're planning the same. We have a large c++ win32 codebase, part of it related to 2d drawing, and want to offer some functionality in the browser. We are thinking of moving our c++ drawing code to skia. In the browser, CanvasKit offers quite the same drawing primitives and drawing concepts like c++ skia,  but ... JavaScript is another programming language, so it's not really shared code.
Br, Michael.

Sohan Jyoti Ghosh

Aug 8, 2022, 1:06:54 PM8/8/22
to skia-d...@googlegroups.com
Hi !

After digging around the source repo, it seems there is some experimental code at https://source.chromium.org/chromium/chromium/src/+/main:third_party/skia/experimental/wasm-hello-world/ to try the tooling for custom C++-Skia project to WASM.
Does anyone know if this is maintained ? And how the drawing surface could be mapped from Linux x-window to the browser window ?

Br,
Sohan

Brian Salomon

Aug 8, 2022, 2:15:21 PM8/8/22
to skia-d...@googlegroups.com
Hi, I had considered porting our "viewer" app that is based on sk_app to WASM. My approach was to first port sk_app to SDL2 and then use the emscripten bindings for SDL2. I started this but didn't have time to take it very far. Here is an old patch that accomplished most of the first step of getting sk_app running on SDL2:

If you want to pursue this we would consider taking upstreaming patches.

--

Brian Salomon | Office Hours: go/bsalomon-office | bsal...@google.com

Sohan Jyoti Ghosh

Aug 9, 2022, 3:58:03 AM8/9/22
to skia-d...@googlegroups.com
Hi !

Thanks for the pointers, we will surely have a look. And keep the upstreaming in mind.

Br,
Sohan