Skia WebGPU backend

Joe

May 19, 2023, 2:53:53 AM5/19/23
to skia-discuss
Hey there,

I was looking at the Skia compilation flags and found `skia_use_webgpu`, which left me wondering, is the WebGPU backend stable and working?

I know WebGPU is still not supported by all browsers, and gained support in Chrome fairly recently, but still wondering if the backend is currently a work in progress, or considered stable.

Thank you!

Ruan Beihong

May 19, 2023, 4:54:55 AM5/19/23
to skia-discuss
+1 for that question.

And what is the current status for Graphite (which suppose to be better suited for dawn)?

Jim Van Verth

May 23, 2023, 9:55:01 AM5/23/23
to skia-d...@googlegroups.com
Despite that GN arg, there's no active work on supporting WebGPU for the original GPU backend, just WebGL. As far as Graphite, it's in progress but not yet feature-complete. It has a reasonably complete Dawn backend but I don't believe anyone has done any work yet to get it running on WebGPU per se.

Jim Van Verth |
 Software Engineer | Google.com

Brian Osman

May 23, 2023, 10:10:12 AM5/23/23
to skia-d...@googlegroups.com
Right. In particular, Skia currently uses a SPIR-V backend when generating shaders for Dawn. This works with Dawn-native, but not WebGPU. The WGSL shader backend is not yet complete. Work on that has just recently resumed.

Joe

May 24, 2023, 3:17:16 PM5/24/23
to skia-discuss
Ok, that's good to know. Thank you both for the info!