Is SK_FONT_HOST_USE_SYSTEM_SETTINGS used anywhere

mattl...@live.com

Oct 21, 2020, 6:59:12 PM10/21/20
to skia-discuss
Maybe more of why and if we should be using the SK_FONT_HOST_USE_SYSTEM_SETTINGS  define?

I searched the entire chromium source and it only has a single reference in src/ports/SkTypeface_win_dw.cpp

What is the purpose of this flag, and why is it not really used? Is it some fallback or some debug feature?

Ben Wagner

Oct 21, 2020, 9:30:03 PM10/21/20
to skia-d...@googlegroups.com
It allows the typeface to override the SK_GAMMA_EXPONENT and
SK_GAMMA_CONTRAST build time settings. In the case of DirectWrite it's
possible that it can read in the system settings and we'll try to use
them. However, the system settings and the call to get them aren't
something that can generally be called inside a sandbox environment,
so this is off by default mostly because of Chromium and because we
just didn't test it. You can turn it on and see what happens to your
text rendering when you change the ClearType settings. We currently
have someone interested in maybe trying to plumb the system settings
for these through somehow, though I'm not sure exactly how to do that
in a clean way.