Faulty generated OpenGL Shader keyword fails "silently"

William Candillon

May 28, 2024, 8:18:14 AMMay 28
to skia-discuss
Hello team,

Here with WebGL the error is clear and this how we were able to fix it immediately.
However the error is not really thrown by Skia but rather WebGL.
So on Android for instance, the runtime effect factory returns non-null and no text error.

On Metal, such SKSL works as expected.

Here it looks like something could be consolidated here? Let me know your thoughts here.

Kind regards,

William

John Stiles

May 28, 2024, 8:33:03 AMMay 28
to skia-d...@googlegroups.com
I'll take a look today and sort it out. Thanks for letting me know.

John Stiles

May 28, 2024, 11:20:46 AMMay 28
to skia-d...@googlegroups.com
Interesting; the word "filter" was added as a reserved word in OpenGL ES3. SkSL does enforce the ES2 reserved-word list, but the spec added additional reserved words in later versions of the standard.

That's a good catch. For now, the simple fix is to avoid using reserved words in a shader; I will look at expanding our reserved-word list to encompass the latest standards in a future Skia milestone.

John Stiles

Jul 19, 2024, 8:42:05 PM (2 days ago) Jul 19
to skia-d...@googlegroups.com
The next release of Skia will fix this bug; "filter" (and other reserved but common words, such as "smooth" and "active") will now work normally in GLSL mode. Details in http://review.skia.org/859060.
Sorry for the delay! I was OOO throughout June and have had a lot of other things on my plate since coming back :)