Custom Catalogue - "Best" Binary stars

Brett Laniosh

Jan 31, 2021, 11:10:07 AM1/31/21
to SkEye Discussions + Announcements
Attached is a CSV file of 535 binary stars selected because they have been recommended as targets because in many cases they are a sight to behold.

The data comes from two sources...

I’ve merged the Coldfield list into the Saguarto list and used a judgement call to select what I hope are the best 535 binaries as 2100 simply drowned the SkEye map view. The 300 additional binaries not rated have been given a rating based on the Saguaro description, so if it says "beautiful" I've given it a ***** rating for example. The stars without colours and no description have given a ** rating which Coldfield didn't use.

To make it easier to search the "best" binaries, I have included the constellation and the *  rating in the name.

I've adopted the following colour system:
CoCo = Color Contrast, the star exhibits a difference in color between the primary and secondary.
B:blue, BG:blue-green, BW:blue-white, G:green, Gy:gray, L:lilac, O:orange, P:purple, R:red, V:violet, W:white, Y:yellow but I have not included some of the more esoteric colour notes used by Saguaro.

For space reasons, the full descriptions have not been carried over but I do have these in the Excel spreadsheet I used to create this CSV. I recommended looking at the original sites especially the Coldfield one.

Finally, I had to convert the RA format from HH:MM.M to HH:MM:SS and tidy up the data so that the SkEye custom database would work. Thanks to Harshad for help here.

Even with just 535 objects, the map view is rather "congested". It would great (hint) if  Map settings allowed you to change the Label opacity and Absolute scale and even colour of the custom database objects. :-)

SkEyeCatalog Binaries Top200.csv

Harshad RJ

Jan 31, 2021, 2:57:46 PM1/31/21
to SkEye
Awesome, Brett! Thanks for putting this together and sharing it!

On Sun, Jan 31, 2021 at 9:40 PM Brett Laniosh <br...@catshill.com> wrote:
Even with just 535 objects, the map view is rather "congested". It would great (hint) if  Map settings allowed you to change the Label opacity and Absolute scale and even colour of the custom database objects. :-)

Noted, will definitely add options for label opacity and label scale.

Color won't be possible as part of the custom catalog, though the existing star catalog will render them in color. However, the existing stars are probably hidden by the custom catalog marker, so I will add an opacity option for this marker. If you make it transparent, you should be able to see the colors.

best,

Brett Laniosh

Feb 1, 2021, 12:53:59 PM2/1/21
to SkEye Discussions + Announcements

Excellent news - thank you Harshad
Attached is an update to the sheet which has been tidied up a little
SkEyeCatalog Binaries Top 500.csv