Observing plans = Custom Catalog?

Brett Laniosh

Jan 18, 2021, 6:22:52 AM1/18/21
to SkEye Discussions + Announcements
Hi all
I am a new user who is getting used to Indirect mode.

I see on the support site (https://skeye.uservoice.com/forums/93533-ideas/suggestions/2482336-the-ability-to-create-observing-plans) there is a request to allow the planning of targets. Is this facility already there in the Pro version?

I would like the ability to search for an object in the daytime, select it, and then have the ability to store it as a target for observing at night. At night an additional tab "Targets" would contain the objects that have been stored.

Harshad RJ

Jan 18, 2021, 6:47:57 AM1/18/21
to SkEye
Hi Brett,

Welcome!

While you could use the "Custom Catalog" feature for creating an observation list, the original intent behind Custom Catalogs is to be able to add objects missing from the pre-bundled catalogs.

I am planning to add proper support for Observing plans / lists, so that you could:
  • see these objects prominently in the what's-up-tonight section
  • see best times for viewing these objects from your location
  • jot observation notes for the objects
  • share these lists with others

On Mon, Jan 18, 2021 at 4:52 PM Brett Laniosh <br...@catshill.com> wrote:
I would like the ability to search for an object in the daytime, select it, and then have the ability to store it as a target for observing at night. At night an additional tab "Targets" would contain the objects that have been stored.

This should be possible, once the Observing Lists feature is implemented.

best,

Brett Laniosh

Jan 19, 2021, 4:29:15 AM1/19/21
to SkEye Discussions + Announcements
Thank you for getting back to me Harshad. I don't think Custom Catalogs are going to help me.
The observation plans sound great if I am able to upload/identify my targets and have them displayed on a live map maybe in a different colour so that I can see them.
 I shall do more testing of the app once I get some clear skies!