Bahtinov mask generator

Fred eric

May 24, 2023, 3:05:50 PM5/24/23
to SkEye Discussions + Announcements
Hi

I find your generator very interesting but would propose some improvements:
  1. being able to round the corners at each slit end, so that the parasitic spikes will disappear;
  2. being able to choose the width of the vertical bar (the one that separates the half circle slits to the quarter inclined slits)
  3. the F/S factor can be easily calculated. Its value for +/-20° inclined slits is 27.5*N where N is the telescope aperture. I explain how it is calculated here: https://sahavre.fr/wp/masque-de-bahtinov
Clear sky
Fred

Harshad RJ

Nov 7, 2023, 10:47:44 PM11/7/23
to sk...@googlegroups.com
Hello Fred,

Thanks for the suggestions and sorry for the late reply. Some notes below:

On Thu, May 25, 2023 at 12:35 AM 'Fred eric' via SkEye Discussions + Announcements <sk...@googlegroups.com> wrote:
being able to round the corners at each slit end, so that the parasitic spikes will disappear;

This will be tough but I will try to do it. If I understand correctly, what you are suggesting is this:

Before:
maskClarification.png

After:
maskClarificationSmoothened.png
Is that correct?

being able to choose the width of the vertical bar (the one that separates the half circle slits to the quarter inclined slits)

Sure, this will be easy.

the F/S factor can be easily calculated. Its value for +/-20° inclined slits is 27.5*N where N is the telescope aperture. I explain how it is calculated here: https://sahavre.fr/wp/masque-de-bahtinov

Thanks for the excellent explanation. I will show the suggested value in the next update.

best,

Harshad RJ

Nov 15, 2023, 1:06:24 AM11/15/23
to sk...@googlegroups.com
I made a couple of updates to https://skeye.rocks/tools/mask/
  • Ability to Pan & Zoom the 3D view of the mask
  • Ability to change the size of the partition between the different parts of the mask
  • Compute recommended F/S ratio as per Fred's suggestion (25.7 * Aperture)