Consolidate support sites?

Brett Laniosh

Jan 18, 2021, 6:23:10 AM1/18/21
to SkEye Discussions + Announcements
There seems to be a number of support sites for SkEye but some of them are not being used or updated as much as others.
Is Google groups the preferred support site. If so great.
Or is https://skeye.uservoice.com the preferred site?

Also, I suggest that https://lavadip.com/skeye/changelog.html is updated to show that the app is still being developed.

Thank you for a great app that I am getting to grips with.

Harshad RJ

Jan 18, 2021, 6:59:07 AM1/18/21
to SkEye
Hi Brett,

Indeed, there are a number of channels around, and I will try to clear the confusion:

This email group is for any kind of unstructured discussion. I also announce big features on this list.

The sub-reddit was created later and serves a similar purpose to this email group. I would prefer to use only reddit, because it has a few more features like polling and nested comments. But then, not everybody is on reddit, and it's a centralized service.

The uservoice site is great for collecting ideas from users in a structured way. Some of the suggestions there are from 2012, and I am still actively thinking or working on these, because I can query them all by number of votes, categories, etc.

On Mon, Jan 18, 2021 at 4:53 PM Brett Laniosh <br...@catshill.com> wrote:
Also, I suggest that https://lavadip.com/skeye/changelog.html is updated to show that the app is still being developed.

Indeed, updating the site is on my TODO list. I also want to make it mobile friendly while I am at it, which is why it is taking a little longer.

Thank you for a great app that I am getting to grips with.

Thanks for the kind words, and feel free to ask any questions, on any of the channels. I am active on all of them.

best,
--
Message has been deleted

Beverly Howard

Jan 18, 2021, 1:46:42 PM1/18/21
to sk...@googlegroups.com
>> I can strongly recommend WordPress <<

Based on my interest in computer security issues, everyone should be aware that Wordpress has been the subject of multiple serious security issues over the past year.

Wordpress is further subject to these vulnerabilities because it does not automatically update and, because it allows use of outside code libraries that are not under Wordpress' ability to update them if the add ons have vulnerabilities.

IF you elect to use Wordpress, it is strongly recommended that the site owner establish a strict update policy to assure that all updates are immediately applied and that only outside add ons be installed when they are required for the site's function and that a strict update policy be used for those add ons.

Ya'll be careful now, hear?

Beverly Howard

Brett Laniosh

Jan 19, 2021, 4:39:47 AM1/19/21
to SkEye Discussions + Announcements
Thanks for your thoughts Beverly, however, my reply to Harsad was only intended for him. It was my fault for not taking care to check that I was replying to a Google Group rather than an email to an individual.
I have deleted my message accordingly but your reply remains. I won't comment further (even though I am very tempted) as I do not think this forum is the right place to be discussing non-SkeEye matters.
Kind Regards

Harshad RJ

Jan 19, 2021, 8:44:37 AM1/19/21
to SkEye
Thanks for the well intentioned suggestions, Brett and Beverly.

I am myself very alert about security issues (both for app development and website development), so rest assured the site security will be in good hands :)

FWIW, I am planning to keep it a simple static website. There might be some simple Javascript for trivial client-side interaction. Nothing fancy.

Feel free to ping me directly on this topic.

cheers,