SyEye and magsafe connections

Alva Couch

Feb 6, 2023, 10:22:38 AM2/6/23
to SkEye Discussions + Announcements
I've had great results with attaching my phone to my scope and chasing the ZTF comet.
I have a samsung s21 ultra which I am connecting to my telescope via a BeastClamp. It is working superbly.  My s21 is currently in a Moment Magsafe case, and I am considering changing my telescope mount to MagSafe, e.g., using a magnetic holder like this one:

Will this mess up my star finding ability due to the strong magnets in the mount?

Thanks in advance,
--- Alva Couch

Harshad RJ

Feb 6, 2023, 10:47:38 AM2/6/23
to sk...@googlegroups.com
Hi Alva,

I don't know much about the Magnetic holder and how strong a magnetic field it produces. I will let someone chime in on that.

But in general, yes, a very strong magnetic field will affect the pointing accuracy of SkEye, even with the new GyroAssist feature. My advice is to go for it only if you have the option to return, or if it has other uses.