SkEye v9.0 : A new way to improve alignment accuracy!

Harshad RJ

Nov 15, 2022, 6:57:25 AM11/15/22
to SkEye
Hey all,

Version 9.0 comes with a new way to improve alignment accuracy which I am calling: GyroAssist.

It automatically switches on after you add an alignment, provided your device has all the requisite sensors. The process of adding an alignment is exactly the same as before.

In short, it uses the gyroscope to track movement from the last alignment point. It still depends on the accelero- and magneto-meter for bootstrapping the alignment, but thereafter it uses only the gyroscope. This avoids a major chunk of the magnetic interference problems. You still need to take care that magnetic interference is minimised, but not as much as before.

The catch is that GyroAssist can drift over a long period of time, on the order of tens of minutes. So, you might need to align more often. The ideal amount of time between alignments will depend on your device. On my Pixel 4a, I didn't have any problems upto 20 minutes. In later versions, I will add a configurable timer that will remind you to add a new alignment.

Another (minor) catch is that GyroAssist won't work if you close and re-open the app.

When GyroAssist is available, you will see an indication on the bottom of the screen, which you can click to toggle the feature on / off. (See attached screenshot). When off, the app uses the older method of calculating the alignments. This will allow you to quickly verify whether GyroAssist is working better for you or not.

Please reply here whenever you get to try it!

Note: I have published the new release to the SkEye Pro beta channel. Will promote it to the public channel in a few days. The Free version is facing a non-trivial issue (billing library needs to be updated) so it will be released much later.

best,
--
GyroAssist.jpg

Ray Andrews

Nov 15, 2022, 4:50:50 PM11/15/22
to sk...@googlegroups.com

On 2022-11-15 03:56, Harshad RJ wrote:
Hey all,

Version 9.0 comes with a new way to improve alignment accuracy which I am calling: GyroAssist.

Sounds good!