Object Coordinates?

Beverly Howard

Jul 23, 2020, 11:49:00 AM7/23/20
to SkEye Discussions + Announcements
First, I just purchased pro primarily to say "Thank You" for an excellent, useful and valuable app.

Like many others, a few days ago I was trying in vain to find Neowise in hazy and partially cloudy skies outside of Austin Texas USA.  (I had forgotten about SkEye!) and after than frustrating evening I started trying to educate myself about celestial object coordinates (Right Ascension...)

When I remembered SkEye a couple of nights later, I was banging my head on a tree when I found out how easy SkEye made it without even having coordinates.

So, my question... while you already had Neowise in your database and on the startup screen I would like to know if there is any way to input right ascension coordinates into SkEye?

Thanks in advance, and, thanks again,
Beverly Howard

Harshad RJ

Jul 23, 2020, 2:06:03 PM7/23/20
to SkEye
Thank you very much for the support, Howard. I hope the tree is fine :)

To answer your question, no, it is currently not possible to add a custom object to the SkEye database.

It is one of the top requested ideas, so I am very much planning to take it up soon.

Stay tuned!

Beverly Howard

Jul 23, 2020, 2:59:16 PM7/23/20
to SkEye Discussions + Announcements
Thanks for the immediate response.

>> not possible to add a custom object to the SkEye database <<

I wasn't even thinking about that...

Just simply dialog fields where you could enter the two coordinates and then SkEye could add the location and time, calculate and point to the object during one session.  If the numbers were invalid, no database impact.

Beverly Howard

Jul 23, 2020, 2:59:16 PM7/23/20
to SkEye Discussions + Announcements
Rats... not sure how, but google posted it before I fixed a couple of typos

Harshad RJ

Jul 23, 2020, 3:25:03 PM7/23/20
to SkEye
On Fri, Jul 24, 2020 at 12:29 AM Beverly Howard <B...@bevhoward.com> wrote:

Just simply dialog fields where you could enter the two coordinates and then SkEye could add the location and time, calculate and point to the object during one session.  If the numbers were invalid, no database impact.

Got it. But then someone's going to ask "why can't I save it?". And, to be frank, saving to the database won't take much development effort. It is the User Interface design + code + documentation that takes most of my time.

So I might as well implement support for custom objects while I am at it.

best,