How do you get Leica 3d Disto data into Sketchup 2013 in real time.

Kevin DiBetta

Jul 15, 2013, 1:57:09 PM7/15/13
to sketch...@googlegroups.com
I have a Leica 3D disto laser measuring device.
I have Sketchup Pro 2013
I use Window 8 as my OS

I would like to do "As - builts" on site using the Disto, a laptop and Sketchup.
I would like to have sketchup use the coordinate data generated by the disto as the drawing coordinate in sketchup.
My goal is to draw the As built on site using the disto to get accurate measurements.

This doesn't seem like it should be very difficult, I just can't figure out how to call the coordinate data from the disto device.

Any advice in furtherance of solution would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you

Todd Burch

Jul 15, 2013, 3:05:39 PM7/15/13
to sketch...@googlegroups.com
I looked into this a few years ago. I even was loaned a Disto from a
distributor, but never got around to it and sent the Disto back.

You will have some application receiving the coordinate data (via wi-
fi or blue tooth?) between the disto and your laptop. That piece of
software could then communicate between a ruby script running under
Sketchup and the communication software on your laptop.

Several years ago, a guy successfully used I/O pipes to communicate
between a virtual reality headset and Sketchup to alter, in realtime,
the camera setting in the SketchUp scene.

It can be done.

Todd

Kevin DiBetta

Jul 15, 2013, 3:36:32 PM7/15/13
to sketch...@googlegroups.com
I have since gotten a document from Leica which describes their geosystems serial interface (GSI)
The Disto 3D comes with its own tablet like device which allows you to capture measurements and control the device.
The Disto 3D is controlled with the tablet, the measurements are taken and stored on the tablet.
You must transfer the file to a PC then import the data to some CAD program.
Then you usually polish your work in the CAD program.
However given that you buy and install the windows version of the control software on your pc and connect the Disto Device to the PC.
Now that GSI coordinate data is available on the PC to any program which calls it correctly.

I think that If I am set up with the Disto 3D and  Disto Windows Software and then I open Sketchup,
The coordinate data should be available to sketchup through ruby.

I have now reached the limits of my skills, I am more of a designer than a coder.

Are there any coders out their who might be interested in pursuing this project with me.
Please let me know.

Thanks

Jim Johnson

Jul 15, 2013, 3:39:10 PM7/15/13
to sketch...@googlegroups.com
I'd be interested, what is your budget?

- Jim Johnson

Kevin DiBetta

Jul 15, 2013, 3:50:05 PM7/15/13
to sketch...@googlegroups.com

I am a one man show.

I am thinking it is a “on spec project”

I pretty much want to have a working tool for myself.

I am willing to cede most of the sales rights to any partner I may have.

I really don’t think that it will be very difficult to accomplish.

There are ways that it can be integrated with already existing Sketchup function.

Thanks for your interest.

I do believe there is a market for such a plugin.

Let me know.

Thanks again

Kevin

Jim Johnson

Jul 15, 2013, 3:57:51 PM7/15/13
to sketch...@googlegroups.com
Would you be interested in developing it yourself if I gave you some modules to help with the development effort?

Kevin DiBetta

Jul 15, 2013, 4:39:01 PM7/15/13
to sketch...@googlegroups.com

JJ

Yes, Thank you.

If you send me your email address I will send you the additional leica information that I have.

Tobias Ebbinge

Aug 6, 2013, 9:26:17 AM8/6/13
to sketch...@googlegroups.com
Hi Kevin,

Check out

Yuzu is designed to aid in Architecture, Surveying, Interior Design, Engineering and Construction, Project Development and Facility Management. We think the tools can be useful in other areas as well, such as game development and realtime presentations, as it allows to generate continuous building models from simple floor layouts. In the near future we will also support generating certified building reports from models created with Yuzu.

For now, Yuzu only supports the Windows version of SketchUp, however a MacOS driver is in the making. Yuzu will work with both SketchUp and SketchUp Pro 8.0 or higher. Only metric units are supported at this point, so please select a corresponding template (meters/millimeters).

Here are some of the basic features Yuzu offers:

- Getting measurement data directly from a Leica Distometer with Bluetooth.
- Create 3D floorplans by drawing simple layouts with common SketchUp tools.
- Punch holes for doors and windows and create columns by measuring offsets
- Measured extrude function
- Angle measurement
- Distance measurement (move objects by measuring the space between them)

We are currently releasing the first beta and we would very much appreciate the SketchUp community to have a look at it. Many functions are still incomplete or missing, but we hope you get the idea of what you can do with Yuzu. We are looking forward to your feedback so we can improve Yuzu to meet your needs.

The download can be found at http://labs.picardinnovations.com, please subscribe to the forums to get access.

dray

Aug 7, 2013, 4:57:54 PM8/7/13
to sketch...@googlegroups.com
Hello Jim,

I saw this post and was curious what information you might have for the 3D Disto.   Have you done any work with the GSI interface or would you happen to have any information on controlling the unit directly without the interface?   I've made a plug-in for Rhinoceros and I've been looking into doing something similar for SketchUp.   I'm trying to find a way to control the movement through my plug-in as is done with the remote, but the response time through the GSI interface does not seem to allow for this.   The slow initial travel speed and the way that it ramps up does not work well in small spaces, so I am trying to find a way to do this using my own speed profile.

I am new to SketchUp development, but I would be happy to help if there are specific questions relating to the GSI interface.

Thanks,
David

Briguy

Dec 6, 2013, 10:16:13 AM12/6/13
to sketch...@googlegroups.com
David,
Where did you get the Rhino Plugin for GSI interface, I would be intersted.

Thanks,
Brian

dray....@gmail.com

Dec 10, 2013, 5:49:21 PM12/10/13
to sketch...@googlegroups.com

Hello Brian,

I wrote the plug-in to adapt the GSI interface to Rhino.   I found that I was not able to control the unit or make good use of the camera due to the limitations of the GSI interface, so I have given up on that.   Now I am interfacing the hardware directly without using any of the Leica software.

Best regards,

David

prabai...@gmail.com

Jul 4, 2014, 7:25:26 AM7/4/14
to sketch...@googlegroups.com
HI jj

 how to get the horizontal angles , vertical angle in 3d disto..

pascal....@gmail.com

Dec 28, 2016, 11:20:22 AM12/28/16
to SketchUp Ruby API
Hi all !!!
Wonder what hapenned with this project?!?