How to create a solid block on sketchup?

pb_bzh

Jan 28, 2011, 9:51:47 PM1/28/11
to Google SketchUp Developers - SketchUp Ruby API
Hello,

I know create a face and make a shape but it is hollow.
How should we do to create a full volume? Is this posiible?

Thank you

Patrick

Jonathan Winterflood

Jan 29, 2011, 6:13:30 AM1/29/11
to sketch...@googlegroups.com

Hi,
No, you cannot create full volumes, but if your hollow shapes are manifold, SketchUp Pro can perform boolean operations on them as if they were solid objects.

HTH,
Jonathan

TIG

Jan 29, 2011, 7:50:46 PM1/29/11
to Google SketchUp Developers - SketchUp Ruby API
I think the confusion is in terminology...
Sketchup is not a solid-modeler.
You can make a cube with 6 faces that looks solid and is regarded as
Sketchup as 'solid' ["manifold"] and it will return a volume.
If you add an internal 'partition' it is no longer seen as a 'solid'.
It you want a truly 'solid' form that is hollow it needs two sets of
faces to make a 'shell' - just as if it were a real 3d object which
would have some thickness to its structure - no matter how thin: a
Sketchup 'face' has zero thickness but two faces 'back-to-back' and
say 5mm apart are equivalent to a 'real' sheet of material....